Interior Help with Defi racer gauge dimming violet wire doesnt work? - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Help with Defi racer gauge dimming violet wire doesnt work?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Interior Help with Defi racer gauge dimming violet wire doesnt work?
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 05-19-17, 05:03 AM   #11
xsmooth69x
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 15 Sti, 00&01 GC8
Fav Mod: JDM extended armrest!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

xsmooth69x will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help with Defi racer gauge dimming violet wire doesnt work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrenthus View Post
Do your gauges dim incrementally with the dimmer? Or do they just have 2 modes - right and dim? I
Ask because I have defi advance BF and when I use the dimmer dial, they hit a point and dim, or hit a point and go bright, but that's it, they aren't matching the rest of the interior.
you can actually make the gauges match the gauge cluster

on the 3 button controller, the "fast forward" symbol (button all the way to the right) is also the dimm switch. So when the car is on and you press that button the defi gauges themselves dimm (up or down with the same button just keep clicking and it will cycle) to get them to match.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 05:23 AM   #12
cbrenthus
Becoming A Contributor

Car: 2017 Black STi
Fav Mod: Removing the paint protection myself :)
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

cbrenthus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsmooth69x View Post
you can actually make the gauges match the gauge cluster

on the 3 button controller, the "fast forward" symbol (button all the way to the right) is also the dimm switch. So when the car is on and you press that button the defi gauges themselves dimm (up or down with the same button just keep clicking and it will cycle) to get them to match.
I appreciate the info, that seems to be how they work. I read the manual and have searched the web, and it seems that the only way to adjust the dimmer is with the Defi controller. I'm really disappointing in Defi because I spent some serious money on what I thought were the best gauges, and they can't even dim with the car dimmer switch.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 06:53 AM   #13
ajsti24
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: JDM parts!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ajsti24 is a jewel in the roughajsti24 is a jewel in the roughajsti24 is a jewel in the roughajsti24 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17sticwp View Post
Hey guys,

I have a Defi racer oil temp gauge that I have wired up. All works fine except for the dimming. I have read for days on this subject, originally I wired the defi white wire (illumination) to the illumination fuse via add-a-fuse. Did not dim.

Just got done removing the radio, wired the white defi wire to the solid violet wire on the back of the radio and still no dimming!

I see there is a "illumination wire" (violet) but in other diagrams there is a black/white (12v-) wire on the back of the radio for dimming... should I connect the white defi wire to the black/white wire??

For wiring purposes I have a 2017 Sti with HK/Nav.

Please help! Thank you!
I used a add a fuse on my defi racer illumination wire and tap it to the fuse box on driver's side labelled "7.5A ILM". Hope this helps.

Last edited by ajsti24; 05-19-17 at 06:58 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 08:16 AM   #14
17sticwp
Active Participant

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

17sticwp is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately no, my gauges do not dim with the dimming dial. They match the gauges when dimming is off and dim with them when the headlights turn on but they don't adjust with the dial.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 11:18 AM   #15
xsmooth69x
Master Contributor Level 1

Car: 15 Sti, 00&01 GC8
Fav Mod: JDM extended armrest!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

xsmooth69x will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrenthus View Post
I appreciate the info, that seems to be how they work. I read the manual and have searched the web, and it seems that the only way to adjust the dimmer is with the Defi controller. I'm really disappointing in Defi because I spent some serious money on what I thought were the best gauges, and they can't even dim with the car dimmer switch.
Gotcha now I understand.... and yes now come to think about it since you pointed this out WTF

I guess I never put 2+2 together and for $$ we paid it is lame we cant have one dimmer switch to rule them all!

but on the flip side it gives me a reason to actually push the buttons on the little controller. Since I obviously dont take advantage of 80% of all the extra stuff it probably does... not gonna lie I totally bought this just for the opening and closing sequence
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 06:07 PM   #16
cbrenthus
Becoming A Contributor

Car: 2017 Black STi
Fav Mod: Removing the paint protection myself :)
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

cbrenthus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsmooth69x View Post
Gotcha now I understand.... and yes now come to think about it since you pointed this out WTF

I guess I never put 2+2 together and for $$ we paid it is lame we cant have one dimmer switch to rule them all!

but on the flip side it gives me a reason to actually push the buttons on the little controller. Since I obviously dont take advantage of 80% of all the extra stuff it probably does... not gonna lie I totally bought this just for the opening and closing sequence
Haha, I'm there with you - doubt I'll ever use most of the functions, but I bought these because of the quality and to match the STI gauges. Also, I figured if I ever get to a point that I need all the capabilities that they have, I don't want to redo the install.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 09:33 PM   #17
tastetickles
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 2013 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Nut behind wheel
My Subaru Parts for sale

tastetickles will become famous soon enoughtastetickles will become famous soon enough

The CR and BF behaves differently too as BF has a day mode and night mode while the CR only has the orange mode and white red color combo mode both only works when headlights are on.

And yes the illumination can be adjusted if u do not have the ZD Advance digital gauge. If you do have the ZD everything is easier to configure or u can actually have the illumination on auto mode as the light sensor is on the ZD.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0