Thoughts/Review/Comparison Is it worth it? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Is it worth it?
Is it worth it?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Thoughts/Review/Comparison Is it worth it?
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Is it worth it?
Is it worth it?
Is it worth it?
Is it worth it?
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 04-19-17, 12:33 PM   #1
JeffH
Active Participant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

JeffH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it worth it?

I'd like to start off by introducing myself. My name is Jeff, I live in Southern Mo and have been in EMS for over 10 years. I drive a 15 STI Limited. This is my 3rd Subaru. 1st was an 03 wrx, a 15 WRX (lemon and Subaru would do nothing), and finally my STI.
I want to do things to my car, yet keep asking myself if it is actually worth it. I read and hear about issues all the time once mods have been done. Not crazy mods either, just intake, tune and exhaust. Is it worth the headache? Is it worth risking your engine, having no car while its being fixed, your financial stability if it does decide to pop? I love my car, but its boring now. I am not excited to open the door to the garage and see it, I want that feeling again. I understand that after a certain amount of time all cars will feel this way, but most of them don't require a tune to change an air filter!
I have also had very bad experiences from SOA. Not covering my 15 bone stock wrx under warranty when the engine was bad, and on my STI the clear is failing. The care is garage kept, washed at least once a week with Adams, sealed and waxed with menzerna powerlock and Collinite 845, so not from lack of attention. And while on the paint subject, the softness and junk paint on these cars is embarrassing. We pay upwards of 40k for a car that swirls if you look at it, an interior that feels like junk, and an engine we are all worried about blowing!
As you might be able to tell, I am a bit frustrated, annoyed, and just plain tired of the whole thing. So please tell me, is it worth it? Why should I keep this car instead of getting something else. Something that can gain a lot more HP for less money, be cheaper on insurance, and doesn't have a lot of these headaches.
Sorry for the rant on my first post.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-19-17, 12:40 PM   #2
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is it worth it?

Sorry to hear about you previous experiences. Its sounds to me like you are very worried about the reliability of the car and if subaru will take care of you if something happens. Based on what you have posted it seems like you are very unhappy with the car. Adding more power to the car will definitely change the way you feel about it. It wont fix the paint, or the rattles and noises but it will put a smile back on your face when you step on it. Yes most cars dont require a tune for an air filter and outs do but we cant change that. There are guidelines we should follow to help prevent engine issues and extend engine life while increasing performance. Good driving habits along with a quality tune from a reputable pro tuner will go a long way with these cars. If you are really worried about the warranty and are debating if its worth it then modding may not be for you at this point.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-19-17, 12:43 PM   #3
dchoi01
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

dchoi01 is on a distinguished road

Well, if this is your 3rd Subaru, there must be something you like about them. you're also on an STI forum, where most of us are enthusiasts and like our cars, so I don't think you'll get too many helpful responses here. If you want to jump ship, go ahead. Not much else to say.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-19-17, 12:43 PM   #4
RussellX
Developing Advanced Mastery

Car: Red STi Hatchback
Fav Mod: Cobb Stage 1
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

RussellX has a spectacular aura aboutRussellX has a spectacular aura about

If youre not going to heavely modify it for serious power increase, then its not worth it, just add axleback or catback for sound. Save your money for serious engine build for future when warranty runs out.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-19-17, 12:46 PM   #5
JeffH
Active Participant

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I realize that a quality dyne tune will do wonders for our vehicles. I also know that it requires a new tune for every part. The closest Dyno is about 8 hours away. I am the type that buys a part and wants to put it on. Not stockpile a bunch until it makes it worth it for the drive, pay someone to put it on, or put it on and trailer the car, and then the extra 500-1k for a tune every time. But if I invest over 10k into a vehicle on mods, I don't want to worry about the reliability and only running a sub 12 second 1/4. Or not driving the car because of the reliablity.
What could I do to my vehicle to make it a little better and not worry?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-19-17, 12:58 PM   #6
TheLegend
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: WRB 09 WRX STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TheLegend will become famous soon enough

Modding is never worth it financially, you have to ask your hard if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. Every mod will result in decreased reliability.

I went the route of using only reputable shops and tuners and still had issues. I would say the less you mod the less things that can go wrong, a simple downpipe, catback exhaust, intake, AOS and protune is about all you need.

I was stock for 70k miles and now at almost 80k miles modded and basically counting down the days when I crack my ringlands or throw a rod. I've thought about moving onto a different car but there's just no other car I think is worth getting at the moment that isn't just a lateral move in this segment so I'm saving up for a new block, and some major mods. This is one of the best platforms to mod with a very mature market of parts and relatively cheap and easier to work on all things considered.

That said I still love my STI dearly. After all my mods it's a hoot to drive and I get so much enjoyment out of it. I enjoy driving it more than my m4!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-19-17, 01:10 PM   #7
JeffH
Active Participant

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thank you for your input. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to reply.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-19-17, 01:37 PM   #8
thedru13
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 2015 CWP STi Limited
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

thedru13 will become famous soon enough

depends on what you deem as worth it. For me being stg 3 flex fuel as my daily. I would say yes it was worth it to me. I am really happy with how my car drives. Is it perfect no. But when modding you have to accept some issues. Hell even stock as you seem to have encountered you have run into issues. I think you have to be smart when you mod and always have some money in the bank incase of a catastrophic failure.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-19-17, 02:04 PM   #9
Cake Eater
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: All of them
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater will become famous soon enough

If you cannot afford to rebuild a new engine don't modify the one you have.

Saying that I modify everything.

I agree with the low quality of the paint, but you must remember they are a cheap massed produced car.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-19-17, 06:08 PM   #10
Nachos Libres
Moderator Elite

Fav Mod: Valentine 1
My Subaru Parts for sale

Nachos Libres has a spectacular aura aboutNachos Libres has a spectacular aura aboutNachos Libres has a spectacular aura about

1. If you are taking care of your paint like you say you are (and judging by the products you are using you know what the f you are doing) then I can guarantee you your STI looks better than 99% of the other cars on the road - even with the crappy factory paint.

2. Like you said, all cars lose their luster, I went through the same feeling as you - especially when I scraped the front right bumper of my car against the wall of my garage - and it ended up costing me $1,200 to fix. What I've found for me to help with that are small mods - and pretty much all of the ones I have done haven't affected any potential warranty claims. You can check my journal - but I've done small mods that have cost me $8 (STI red metal oil filler cap) all the way up to the Invidia Q300 exhaust I got on sale for less than $700. Besides the exhaust, lighting mods and getting custom leather and brake boots done have been my favorite and every time I do one of these mods it makes me fall in love with the car a little more.

I will likely do performance mods once I hit 5 years / 60k miles (since the powertrain warranty will be out) and I'm sure that will have an even bigger effect. I just know that after having 2 STIs that if I went back to a normal car (like the Mazda6 I had after my 2005 STI) there is no way I would enjoy it near as much as my STI, and I would regret that decision.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0