Thoughts/Review/Comparison Is it worth it? - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Is it worth it?
Is it worth it?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Thoughts/Review/Comparison Is it worth it?
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Is it worth it?
Is it worth it?
Is it worth it?
Is it worth it?
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 04-20-17, 07:26 PM   #21
JeffH
Active Participant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

JeffH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it worth it?

My 15 wrx was a base model. The STI is a limited. The difference between the two sold me. The soft paint is an issue, but it always will be with most cars, especially imports. The reason I bought the STI, to me, is that is was a completely different car. Engine, style, driveline, ect. You guys know the differences better than most dealers. My only hang up is the tune, and possible catastrophic failure. If it's safe with some bolt ons and a good tune, then I will keep the car. I can do a lot to it that I forget about that doesn't require engine work. I do love the car, the platform, the endless different ways it can be built. I am about 10k away from being out of warranty. That will be about 2-3 months for me. I am going to start collecting parts, performance, exterior and suspension, and build it this summer. After talking with you guys and doing some more research, it's only about 4k for a built motor if this one decides to go. That I can handle. By the beginning of 2018 the car should be paid for, I'll buy another daily then, and fully build this car.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-21-17, 05:56 AM   #22
TX STIG
Silver Member

Fav Mod: Stage 2
My Subaru Parts for sale

TX STIG has a spectacular aura aboutTX STIG has a spectacular aura aboutTX STIG has a spectacular aura about

yolo!

If you're driving a stock STi, then you're not driving an STi.
Member Journal
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-21-17, 07:03 AM   #23
guvadc
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: GlxyBlu '15 WRX STi
Fav Mod: JDM Arm Rest Ext.
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

guvadc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachos Libres View Post
1. If you are taking care of your paint like you say you are (and judging by the products you are using you know what the f you are doing) then I can guarantee you your STI looks better than 99% of the other cars on the road - even with the crappy factory paint.

2. Like you said, all cars lose their luster, I went through the same feeling as you - especially when I scraped the front right bumper of my car against the wall of my garage - and it ended up costing me $1,200 to fix. What I've found for me to help with that are small mods - and pretty much all of the ones I have done haven't affected any potential warranty claims. You can check my journal - but I've done small mods that have cost me $8 (STI red metal oil filler cap) all the way up to the Invidia Q300 exhaust I got on sale for less than $700. Besides the exhaust, lighting mods and getting custom leather and brake boots done have been my favorite and every time I do one of these mods it makes me fall in love with the car a little more.

I will likely do performance mods once I hit 5 years / 60k miles (since the powertrain warranty will be out) and I'm sure that will have an even bigger effect. I just know that after having 2 STIs that if I went back to a normal car (like the Mazda6 I had after my 2005 STI) there is no way I would enjoy it near as much as my STI, and I would regret that decision.

I've done little things as well and still have a few more little things I want to do before I touch the engine. So far I have put in the Advanced keys pushbutton/remote start system. With that I have the Red JDM push button. I also have the JDM arm rest, interior lighting front and back ( back for my son ) , and RallyArmor mud flaps.

Things I want to do yet are new e-brake and shifter boots land window tinting. I also want to get a light bar and lights to perhaps give it more a more authentic rally look. At some point I want to do a Head Unit swap for audio. Looks like the Kenwood DNX573S is a good option for that.

I have had my STI for a lil over 2 years and have 26,000 miles on it. I still enjoy my car very much. When my warranty is up, I might look into going to Stage 2 or something. For me, I feel that this car will not easily replaced with anything else on the market in the upcoming years.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-22-17, 06:46 AM   #24
prozach626
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: WRB 2015 STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

prozach626 is on a distinguished road

Your engine warranty shouldn't be up for five years and 60,000 miles.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-22-17, 01:45 PM   #25
TX STIG
Silver Member

Fav Mod: Stage 2
My Subaru Parts for sale

TX STIG has a spectacular aura aboutTX STIG has a spectacular aura aboutTX STIG has a spectacular aura about

If I had to drive a stock STi, I'd probably rather have the WRX or maybe the GTI.

If you're driving a stock STi, then you're not driving an STi.
Member Journal
Likes 0 Dislikes 0