Engine K&N void Warranty - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
K&N void Warranty
K&N void Warranty
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Engine K&N void Warranty
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
K&N void Warranty
K&N void Warranty
K&N void Warranty
K&N void Warranty
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 03-20-17, 10:39 AM   #21
tylerlieberman
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Seat Time
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

tylerlieberman has a spectacular aura abouttylerlieberman has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: K&N void Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfnamedsmurf View Post
Who is spreading nonsense? I didn't see anyone in this thread claim it would void your warranty?
The following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjq001 View Post
Yes it does
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_M View Post
It won't void your warranty but will void your motor...

I like those filters for my vehicles as well but better to just leave it oem on this car, too risky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay11STI View Post
It may/may not void your warranty.
There's no *void*ing that's going on. It's simply a matter of a claim being denied.

Quote:
I am not disagreeing with what you've said, but it might be equally important to note that the consumer would ultimately foot the bill trying to prove that the dealer failed to prove fault. Sure, if you won a lawsuit you should be able make them pay court costs, but what is the likelihood of your lawyer beating their panel?
True, but most instances I've seen never really get that far. Again, it's their responsibility to prove your mods are at fault. It's not your responsibility to prove that they aren't. Yes, it's a battle, but when you know your rights and what the law states, you're at an advantage.

Quote:
In other words, what the law says in theory is important, but what happens in practice is also worth knowing. In the event of a denied warranty claim, complaining to SOA or a similar party might get you somewhere etc but if the local/regional Subaru people go against you and the corporate folks do not take your side, you'd spend a lot of money trying to be right. Most people don't want to spend potentially upwards of 10k on a court battle with a large company.
I'm not saying it's right, that it happens often, or anything else other than the fact that it would be an uphill battle to truly fight them over a claim.

Realistically, I don't think most dealers are going to make a big deal over an aftermarket panel filter inside the OEM housing. If you end up bringing your car in under warranty b.c it is running funny, you have an oiled filter, and the thing that seems to fix your car is cleaning the MAF....yeah, you might end up paying for that visit out of pocket. If your motor blew and all you had was a K&N filter, would most dealers try to get out of fixing it? I don't think so, but honestly anything can happen. What you have to realize is it's all up to the court of Subaru. If your car is bone stock it will be tough for them to pin it on you, but the more you deviate from the factory setup, the more fuel they COULD have to try to blame it on something you've done. It doesn't mean they can, it doesn't mean they will even try - but ultimately no matter what we tell you, it is silly to convince yourself there is no risk in doing/installing ____ modification just because other guys seemingly have not encountered a problem with this in the past.
Agreed. There's a lot of semantics in all of that though. My rebuttal focuses on the "does x,y,z void my warranty?" The answer is no. If I modify my intake and my engine pops, yes... the warranty claim for a new engine could possibly be denied. However, if my wheel bearing fails down the road after having installed an intake, the wheel bearing is still covered under warranty. The warranty didn't disappear.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-20-17, 10:54 AM   #22
Jesse_M
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: IG: elevated.aerial
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jesse_M has a spectacular aura aboutJesse_M has a spectacular aura aboutJesse_M has a spectacular aura about

I was simply joking around. Of course your warranty doesn't get voided but the point most of us were trying to make is any intake change on this motor is risky and in most cases the intake never needs changing to improve flow.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-20-17, 11:14 AM   #23
murfnamedsmurf
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 2012 DGM STI 5 door
Fav Mod: No car payment
My Subaru Parts for sale

murfnamedsmurf has a spectacular aura aboutmurfnamedsmurf has a spectacular aura about

All true. I think most people have at least some awareness of this fact, they just do not care enough to be precise with their questions or answers.

I think most of these guys are reasonable unless they've just seen large volumes of people trying to get warranty coverage for heavily modified engines or similar situations, and in that case it's hard to blame them for assuming the worst if people have tried to pull the wool over their eyes in countless similar situations.

But yes, the key point with this specific thread is there is almost no point in something like a K&N filter for this particular car. It carries moderate risk with little potential benefit. If you tune for it, you might get some benefit (but overall you're likely better served with downpipe etc), but then you're risking warranty coverage in a much bigger way. If you don't tune for it, you risk running lean, and if the engine pops because of a lean condition encouraged by your K&N filter then the dealer would not be wrong to try to pin that on you.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-20-17, 11:30 AM   #24
The Purple STi
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: Going rotated
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

The Purple STi is on a distinguished road

Bare in mind for anyone with an extended warranty (beyond manufacture warranty) many of these are Service Contracts in which there typically is a clause indicating any mods will deem the vehicle ineligible. In this instance if you lower you car and a cam sensor goes out, they can legally denying the claim and cancel the contract (depending on state). I am unsure of extra care if they operate a service contract or a warranty. This is something to keep in mind with any vehicle protection plans.

Ultimately it comes down to this: if you plan on modding in any shape or fashion (outside cosmetic), be ready to foot any mechanical bill. If it is a concern of yours, take that extra money and put it towards your loan or any debt. Start modding when you are financially sound for any and all issues that come up. Also remember mods are toys and not necessities.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by The Purple STi; 03-20-17 at 11:35 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-20-17, 11:52 AM   #25
murfnamedsmurf
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 2012 DGM STI 5 door
Fav Mod: No car payment
My Subaru Parts for sale

murfnamedsmurf has a spectacular aura aboutmurfnamedsmurf has a spectacular aura about

Exactly ^ this. A lot of mods are a non-issue overall. But a lot do present some kind of issue, everyone just needs to realize this. No matter how many replies you get saying a certain thing won't harm the car and if it does you will be covered etc etc, that might not be so.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0