Suspension/Stiffening 2015 STi Sway bars - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2015 STi Sway bars
2015 STi Sway bars
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Suspension/Stiffening 2015 STi Sway bars

Old 02-22-17, 03:59 PM   #21
RocketRobin
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: British Racing Green
Fav Mod: Snow Tires
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

RocketRobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2015 STi Sway bars

I don't race on pavement, gravel, or parking lots.
I'm more of a highway star and like the cushy stock bars.

My 09 is getting a little squishy though, so I'm upgrading the bushings to polyurethane squeakers and adding Whiteline end links.
It won't do much for roll control on the skid pad, but it will tighten up the response of the bars.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-17, 04:00 PM   #22
CygnusPerformance
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 151 reviews

Car: 13PBP STi, 07STi LTD
Fav Mod: Super Pro Duroball LCA Bushings, Cygnus Performance X-1 Coilovers & Tactrix Openport 2.0
My Subaru Parts for sale

CygnusPerformance will become famous soon enoughCygnusPerformance will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjq001 View Post
A larger rear sway bar with DCCD locked in rear definitely makes STI a little bit "tail happy" though, in my point of view, it's not the fastest way.
Just out of curiosity what size rear sway bars have you tried and on what settings? I don't disagree with what you're saying if you are talking about say a 24mm bar set to stiff, but there are many different options. You can upgrade this rear swaybar to be only slightly stiffer than stock (as low as the equivalent of 0.5mm diam more than stock) or significantly stiffer than stock. The different choices you can make with this will get you dramatically different results. I haven't spoken to any owners who find the stock set up to be neutral though. It doesn't sound like you even think this.

There is definitely such thing as too much bar. I often try to talk people out of going too aggressive with swaybars for their situation which can be counterproductive. Ideally you want to increase roll stiffness through a combination of a larger rear bar, upgraded end links, upgraded D bushings and coilovers with linear springs and custom rates suited to what you are doing. Doing the rear sway bar by itself is still a great mod, but to get an ideal set up there are a lot of other things to be done as well. It's just a good way to address the understeer an make an otherwise stock car more fun to drive. An alignment is always a piece of the puzzle when you are trying to get any car to handle properly, but I would argue that it takes more than a simple alignment to sort out the handling on these cars.

Thanks,
Geoff

Lowest Prices on everything for your STi. We'll beat ANY price!
Click Here to read our review thread! Find out why we have the highest feedback score on IWSTi!

Last edited by CygnusPerformance; 02-22-17 at 04:15 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-22-17, 04:19 PM   #23
cgjq001
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2015 grey STI/FRS
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

cgjq001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusPerformance View Post
Just out of curiosity what size rear sway bars have you tried and on what settings? I don't disagree with what you're saying if you are talking about say a 24mm bar set to stiff, but there are many different options. You can upgrade this rear swaybar to be only slightly stiffer than stock (as low as the equivalent of 0.5mm diam more than stock) or significantly stiffer than stock. The different choices you can make with this will get you dramatically different results. I haven't spoken to any owners who find the stock set up to be neutral though. It doesn't sound like you even think this.

There is definitely such thing as too much bar. I often try to talk people out of going too aggressive with swaybars for their situation which can be counterproductive. Ideally you want to increase roll stiffness through a combination of a larger rear bar, upgraded end links, upgraded D bushings and coilovers with linear springs and custom rates suited to what you are doing. Doing the rear sway bar by itself is still a great mod, but to get an ideal set up there are a lot of other things to be done as well. It's just a good way to address the understeer an make and otherwise stock car more fun to drive. An alignment is always a piece of the puzzle when you are trying to get any car to handle properly, but I would argue that it takes more than a simple alignment to sort out the handling on these cars.

Thanks,
Geoff
thanks for replying.
I also don't think stock setup is perfectly neutral.It has tendency to understeer a little bit. I feel more comfortable to push limit with "a little bit under" in a AWD car. Especially in some fast 100mph corners, I really don't want my AWD car to oversteer. It's much harder to get it back compared to RWD on throttle.

I've tried 22mm in the rear but I think stock 20mm is better with stock suspension. There is slight lift-off of rear inner wheel in tight and fast corner.

With -2.0 camber in front, most of "factory understeer" has been eliminated. If I'm right I remember stock camber is only -0.5. I doubt anyone would feel any under in streets.
If it's pushed to the very limit in track days, it does still understeer a little bit.

Last edited by cgjq001; 02-22-17 at 04:30 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement