Suspension/Stiffening 22 vs 24 mm rear sway bar on stock suspension - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
22 vs 24 mm rear sway bar on stock suspension
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Suspension/Stiffening 22 vs 24 mm rear sway bar on stock suspension
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 12-07-16, 11:53 AM   #31
Whitescorp
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: '15 Base CWP STi
Fav Mod: Invidia Q300&DP, DW, pump,850 cc injector,EWG,AP stg2 w pro tune by Surgeline, AEMCAI,
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Whitescorp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 22 vs 24 mm rear sway bar on stock suspension

Just went with the Whiteline 22mm bar on middle setting with Kartboy endlinks. I debated between the 22 & 24 bars. I'm wishing I went with the 24. I'd say the 22 reduced a slight bit of push but not enough for me. Guess I'll set it out to furthest setting and see if that put some grin on my face as I'm not going through the added expense of trashing the 22 for a 24 at this point.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-07-16, 12:01 PM   #32
CygnusPerformance
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 151 reviews

Car: 13PBP STi, 07STi LTD
Fav Mod: Super Pro Duroball LCA Bushings, Cygnus Performance X-1 Coilovers & Tactrix Openport 2.0
My Subaru Parts for sale

CygnusPerformance will become famous soon enoughCygnusPerformance will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitescorp View Post
Just went with the Whiteline 22mm bar on middle setting with Kartboy endlinks. I debated between the 22 & 24 bars. I'm wishing I went with the 24. I'd say the 22 reduced a slight bit of push but not enough for me. Guess I'll set it out to furthest setting and see if that put some grin on my face as I'm not going through the added expense of trashing the 22 for a 24 at this point.
Keep in mind that for some reason that I donít understand Kartboy rear endlinks are actually shorter than OEM by a little bit. This means that on a 3-way adjustable bar you often cannot reach the soft setting. Sometimes you won't even be able to reach the stiff setting. If you can set your bar to stiff and that gives you the improvement you're looking for then you're good to go.

Thanks,
Geoff

Lowest Prices on everything for your STi. We'll beat ANY price!
Click Here to read our review thread! Find out why we have the highest feedback score on IWSTi!

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-12-16, 12:03 PM   #33
TX STIG
Silver Member

Fav Mod: Corn On The Cobb
My Subaru Parts for sale

TX STIG is a jewel in the roughTX STIG is a jewel in the roughTX STIG is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitescorp View Post
Where are you feeling this "push"? I'm assuming it's on a track and not the street. With the RCE Yellows my car feels extremely neutral, but it's obviously not pushed to the limits as it would be on the track. Then again, I live in north Texas where the roads are not exactly twisty.

Car of the Corn
Member Journal
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-12-16, 03:39 PM   #34
Cake Eater
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: All of them
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater will become famous soon enough

22 front set on medium, 24 rear set to soft, stock springs and dampers, max stock camber, basically -1.5ish all round, 0 toe, cannot remember castor, Hankook RS3.

Car feels good now, It suits my driving style, it's stable at speed but still flicky at lower speed, much less understeer when pushed mid corner and you can get the bum out with some driver imput.

No track, only street and the occasional dirt road adventure.

Edit: your driving style and the road conditions will dictate your settings, what one person likes another will hate, what works well on tarmac will be a compromise on dirt, same with a wet or dry road, for a street car its about finding the middle ground.

Well, at least a setting that isnt going to try and throw you off onto the grass

Last edited by Cake Eater; 12-12-16 at 04:01 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-01-17, 11:15 AM   #35
Whitescorp
Contributor

Car: '15 Base CWP STi
Fav Mod: Invidia Q300&DP, DW, pump,850 cc injector,EWG,AP stg2 w pro tune by Surgeline, AEMCAI,
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Whitescorp is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 22 vs 24 mm rear sway bar on stock suspension

With the whiteline 22mm rear now set to the firmest setting, I believe I've found my sweet spot.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-19-17, 10:33 PM   #36
FL4T.
Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Stage 2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

FL4T. is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Geoff, I've been a long time customer since my 06 STi (now 2017 STi) and I'm very close to pulling the trigger on your SuperPro understeer eliminator combo, but I have a few questions.

1) Is there any particular reason that you don't carry front Kartboy endlinks for 2015+?

2) Why do you offer Kartboy endlinks for 2015+ rear, but in the combo only?

3) I would most likely keep the stock front 24mm bar and add the upgraded D bushings, but I'm wondering if upgrading the front endlinks would allow me to notice that much of a difference?

I previously had Kartboy endlinks, front and rear, with Whiteline 24mm adjustable, front and rear on my 06 STi. I'm reading more and more on the ball link endlinks and it seems like they are superior to the traditional urethane endlinks (like Kartboy), but I'm still curious.

As always, I really appreciate your input!

Edit: He replied to my PM. I will be going with SuperPro rear sway bar with supporting brackets, front and rear end links, and front D bushings in the near future.

Last edited by FL4T.; 02-22-17 at 05:50 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-09-17, 01:14 PM   #37
Copters
Active Participant

Car: Silver 05 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Copters is an unknown quantity at this point

Geoff,

Reading this thread with interest. Curious if people have tried softening up the front rather than stiffening up the rear? What's the downside? Obviously more body roll... does that couple into something else undesirable, or do we all just like minimal body roll? (many years ago my roommate and I had matching cars, but he put huge bars on his and it really hurt his autox performance... would corner perfectly flat, but mine with stock would out-corner him (but pushed like crazy)).
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 07:10 AM   #38
CygnusPerformance
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 151 reviews

Car: 13PBP STi, 07STi LTD
Fav Mod: Super Pro Duroball LCA Bushings, Cygnus Performance X-1 Coilovers & Tactrix Openport 2.0
My Subaru Parts for sale

CygnusPerformance will become famous soon enoughCygnusPerformance will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL4T. View Post
Hey Geoff, I've been a long time customer since my 06 STi (now 2017 STi) and I'm very close to pulling the trigger on your SuperPro understeer eliminator combo, but I have a few questions.

1) Is there any particular reason that you don't carry front Kartboy endlinks for 2015+?

2) Why do you offer Kartboy endlinks for 2015+ rear, but in the combo only?

3) I would most likely keep the stock front 24mm bar and add the upgraded D bushings, but I'm wondering if upgrading the front endlinks would allow me to notice that much of a difference?

I previously had Kartboy endlinks, front and rear, with Whiteline 24mm adjustable, front and rear on my 06 STi. I'm reading more and more on the ball link endlinks and it seems like they are superior to the traditional urethane endlinks (like Kartboy), but I'm still curious.

As always, I really appreciate your input!

Edit: He replied to my PM. I will be going with SuperPro rear sway bar with supporting brackets, front and rear end links, and front D bushings in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copters View Post
Geoff,

Reading this thread with interest. Curious if people have tried softening up the front rather than stiffening up the rear? What's the downside? Obviously more body roll... does that couple into something else undesirable, or do we all just like minimal body roll? (many years ago my roommate and I had matching cars, but he put huge bars on his and it really hurt his autox performance... would corner perfectly flat, but mine with stock would out-corner him (but pushed like crazy)).
Hey guys,

Sorry for not keeping up with this thread. I haven't been spending enough time on the forums lately. I feel like they've kind of been dying and getting less traffic over the last couple years, so I have been spending more time on social media even though I prefer it here if I'm honest. Anyway glad you were able to send me a PM and get an answer. I figured Iíd answer these questions publicly in case it helps anyone - we are putting a lot of work into the 2015 catalog. We can get almost anything for these cars whether itís on our website or not, and we can beat almost any price. Those endlinks will be listed for the 15 shortly. I am really not a big fan of the Kartboy rear endlinks for the 2015+ cars. They are shorter than the OEM endlinks and they pretty much are guaranteed to not be able to get to all of the adjustment points on a 3-way adjustable swaybar.

For the front I do prefer ball link endlinks for the 2015 plus cars. The fitment in the front can be a little bit weird and ball link endlinks are much more forgiving with fitment. They also give you the ability to remove preload from the front bar if you are corner balancing which can be nice. One other thing I like about going either all SuperPro or all Whiteline is the fact that you have one brand that manufactured all of the parts. That means that if there is a problem with fitment the endlink manufacturer is not going to blame the swaybar manufacturer and vice versa and they will pretty much have to help you. I know that sounds like a minor detail, but if you need support it can be helpful. You also know that you are getting parts designed to work with each other that have been tested with each other many times. I know I have been saying a lot of good things about SuperPro over the last few years, but anyone who has purchased it and used it firsthand understands why I do this. It really is the highest quality option available for these cars when it comes to swaybars, endlinks and bushings.

Upgrading the D bushings and endlinks on the front factory 24 millimeter bar is hugely beneficial on these cars. This is particularly true when you upgrade the rear bar which I think should be the first mod every 2015 + owner makes. When you upgrade the rear bar you have stiff D bushings and stiff endlinks so the swaybar starts working very quickly as you go into a corner. In the front you've got soft D bushings and flimsy endlinks flexing around so it does not respond in the same way. A big problem with this is as you go through the corner the bias of front to rear stiffness will actually change as the front swaybar essentially gets stiffer in relation to the rear bar that had full stiffness right away because it has better components. Getting upgraded endlinks and bushings in the front will allow the bars to work together as a pair and allow the car to feel a lot more composed.

As for softening the front bar that is not something I have tried on the 2015 plus cars simply because there are not a lot of good options to do it with. I have encouraged SuperPro to make a smaller front bar for these cars because I think it would be beneficial for certain customers. I am particularly thinking of guys that do a lot of street tire autocross where you don't have a lot of grip or speed to use a large front bar. For most people it would make the car roll a lot more and it would make turn in feel a lot less crisp. A softer front bar certainly would have its place, but even with softening the front bar I think you would still want a stiffer rear bar. If you soften the front bar you may not want to go with a 24 millimeter rear bar, but most people are still going to want to go with a 22 millimeter rear bar even if they have a softer bar in the front.

Hopefully I am not posting this too late and it helps some people. If you guys have any questions just let me know. I will stay on top of my subscriptions here better

Thanks,
Geoff

Lowest Prices on everything for your STi. We'll beat ANY price!
Click Here to read our review thread! Find out why we have the highest feedback score on IWSTi!

Last edited by CygnusPerformance; 05-19-17 at 07:16 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0