IW STi Forum banner

after sti-sti-audi-sti-audi, i cant help longing for sti again, but...?

Thoughts/Review/Comparison 
8K views 65 replies 27 participants last post by  Zuccs 
#1 ·
Hi
I m back at shopping again, after only 1 year in my 2015 s3. I cant help it, the STI always calls me back. I have owned an 06, an 09, then went to audi S4('11) for 3 years, until the 15 STI came out. Unfortunately this lasted only 1 year due to a waaayyy to harsh suspension. The S3 solved that but it is admittedly unexciting to drive. It is efficient , quick, comfortable but dull. Partly due to DSG.
So i m looking to go back to car sportier car, but wondering if it is possible (parts available) to make the STI (2015+) more confortable?
Is there a way to fit an ajustable suspension like we see on S3, Golf R, Focus RS,...?
Or is there a better match to be had with shocks and springs?

#4 · (Edited)
No dsg tune, i read a lot complaints on forums.
Got the neuspeed power modul (it is a piggy back that inscreases boost), with good results and can be removed for service without any trace , or so they say.

It still remains an automatic, that you dont control plus it often is laggy,
i miss the 3rd pedal and the involvment, and the character of a sports car like STI, Boss, Shelby,...

#9 · (Edited)
I've gotten used to my STi, doesn't seem too harsh anymore, but I guess it depends a lot on the roads too. It can be harsh over rough pavement.

I'd think with coilovers you could go with softer springs and tune the dampers to match? Or just buy WRX springs if they fit...

The RS3 does look really cool... 400 hp and 0-60 in 4.0. It'd take a larger turbo to get that kind of power in an STi without E85. So much cash though, if that's in your budget then there's a lot of choices... the CLA45 AMG is sportier than the RS3 from what I've seen on some comparison vids. Camaro ZL1, GT350, Chevy SS, Vettes...

#11 ·
The CLA45 might be faster, but sporty and fast are not always the same thing. The RS3 has character the CLA45 lacks.

You can get the new Golf R in a stick, a buddy of mine has it. It's not very sporty though, it's quick for sure, but it rides like a touring car.

#14 ·
Been there and done that(05 STI, new 12 STI, new 15 STI, new S3) and other Subarus and Audis in between and during(WRX, Forester XT, A3 8V and A6 supercharger.

I agree with a lot of what you said. My 16 S3 can be boring and yes, the DSG has that delay on D specially if you don't launch the car with launch control. Yes, it feels dull too.
However the Audi is far better in other aspects like it is vastly better in fuel economy or engine response and also refinement.

Let take a look at my last 15 STI and it performance: 330whp/411lb-tq on a Mustang Dyno with the following parts: E85 custom tune, 1100cc FI, perring LH, Cobb DP, Cobb SF filter, Carbon Fiber driveshaft, 21psi-24psi but the car onl ran a 12.5@110mph(best) in Tucson at 3100FT elevation

Now, lets take a look at my simplistic Audi S3. It ran exactly the same times and traps (12.5@110) with just a OTS 91oct map from APR. No exhaust, no air filters, no nothing!!

I love the STI and I will always love them but I am sorry, the engine alone is getting too old and now days a V6 camaro or Mustang destroyes the STI on any circuit. It beat them on everything, slalom, figure eight, road course.

If you were to say that you want t go for a new gen STI (up coming) I would say go for it but the Golf R and Audi S3 with DSG are running high 11;s with juts a tune.

My S3 has DSG by way and yes, I also had once the APR DSG tun and didn't like it. I wrote a lot on VWortex. Your piggy pack is honestly on the bottom of the list when it comes to power. I understand your concerns about warranty but you should go and tr the real stuff: APR, Unitronic, UM or Giac.

Good luck with you car and your choices..

#32 ·
Not comparing just the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. I pointed out gas mileage, refinement. Take a look at other things like braking. People have the idea that just because a car comes with brembos that it brakes better, compare the braking distances on a oem S3 or Golf R with sti.

Compare the road course times too and you will see what I mean.

#16 ·
Sounds like you daily drive and I'm thinking the lack of interior comforts as well as awful cabin noise in the STi might be an issue.

Just my .02

I love my car but I'd love even more to be in a new Audi.

#18 ·
I have a B8 S5 as well as the '16 STI and I can tell you that when I switch cars that comfort in the Audi is great to have! If you have the funds then go for another S4. I feel like that going from the S4 to the S3 is why you are wanting something faster. The STI is built as a rally inspired car while the Audi's you have had are built as a luxury sedan. If comfort and an STI is your goal then go with a WRX suspension or air but if a all around sporty sedan with comfort is what you want then go with another S4 or a WRX. Just my thoughts.

#19 ·
A lot of posts here flirt with something interesting that is not often discussed.

The STI may be slower than many other cars, but it is intrinsic ly more rewarding, involving, and sporty than those same cars. I have from a series of Corvettes that would laugh at the STI and it's competition on a track, at a stoplight, on a runway, anywhere it didn't matter they were flat out faster. But they weren't better, because they weren't fun to drive, they had been muted down and reduced to very fast GT cars. They didn't involve you like the STI does.

What's interesting is the reason that the S3 is faster is directly linked to why a lot of people find it less involving, the DSG transmission. It's gearing and speed of changing gears gives it an absolute performance advantage, but is a sticking point for a lot of people. Myself included.

The STI is a great car because it's one of the last of its kind. It cares more about fun and involvement than strictly numbers. People complain about the 6 speed, the engine, the suspension, all these things as not being "modern" enough, yet those are the things that gives it character and makes it special. Just something to think about.

#20 ·
First time poster, having picked up my 17 sti on Monday. This post exactly sums up why I went wth the STI over the golf R/s3/240i.

After daily driving an e36 M3 euro spec (with the "true" BMW Motorsport engine, ITBs and all) for a year, I finally received an offer to buy it that I couldn't reasonably turn down. After doing the deal in a day or two, i hadn't put 10 minutes into thinking about its replacement. I set out to find my match, and it had to make me as excited to drive it as the M3 did.

Since I wanted a manual, it eliminated quite a few options. The mustang and camaro v8s were appealing, but the lack of practicality was an issue, as was the poor winter driving I'd have to endure. After all that I read, I was sure the golf R would be the one. Amazing tunability didn't hurt it, either. However, given I was so disappointed with a GTI I used to own, I went through hoops to test drive the R before I bought (in Ontario they sell like hot cakes, and dealers refuse to allow test drives for fear of putting on KMs). Thank goodness I did, though. Just like my last GTI, it was too soft, clinical and "competent". It didn't engage me, and it meant that for 99% of the driving I'd do, it would be boring. When pushed, the car came alive, but that was only at 8-9/10.

The 240 also felt boring relative to the M3 I had, and just didn't feel like the BMW I wanted it to be (M2 probably would have been great, though). The STI however, even despite an interior not very different than my 22 year old BMW (j/k, kinda), felt so much more alive and engaging than the R. I immediately put my deposit down and haven't regretted it since (about 1 week, haha).

#28 ·
My 2 cents. Absolutely agree with the above. I went from C6 Vette to an A6 to an Outback (family thing). I missed "driving" and have wanted an STI forever so pulled the trigger in July. Couldn't be happier. Use it as a DD when I don't have to drive the 405. The car is raw and I would describe it as twitchy. Makes noises, pretty basic interior layout which I like. I guess it's got a bumpy ride at times but that's what I expected from it and wouldn't change it, I like feeling connected to the road. Look forward to driving it every chance I get and wouldn't change a thing other than the STI performance exhaust.

#31 ·
Ha, just went through the same dilemma myself. Lease was up on my 2015 STI, and though I loved the car, my list of gripes was long and engine failure related.

Decided I was done with subaru until a new STI comes out. So I went shopping. S3, Golf R, Focus RS, E92 M3. List was long, but that damn subaru is just such an engaging drive, despite being more comfortable in every other car, I just felt disconnected and turned off by the pretentiousness of some of them. The STI is a no holds barred drivers car. You love it or hate it, and not much middle ground. Its uncomfortable, everything rattles, the engine is an archaic piece of garbage, but find your self a nice curvy gravel road, a frozen lake, or a good canyon drive and the STI experience is unrivaled. Not to mention, in base form, about 10K canadian cheaper than any of its competitors!

So I got a 2017 STI, just pulled the trigger and upgraded the stereo this time, so its not quite so miserable.

#53 · (Edited)
The STI is a no holds barred drivers car. You love it or hate it, and not much middle ground. Its uncomfortable, everything rattles, the engine is an archaic piece of garbage, but find your self a nice curvy gravel road, a frozen lake, or a good canyon drive and the STI experience is unrivaled. Not to mention, in base form, about 10K canadian cheaper than any of its competitors!
I don't mind the EJ and don't consider it a piece of garbage. It's not like the FA is a different a design. Isnt it pretty much the same thing with different boltons? If you want a flat engine done better buy a higher end Porsche. If it's a flat four you don't respect then . . . As for a more ordinary WRX than the STI, it exists with an FA at less cost :) it's not as stiff it won't rattle as much, it's quieter . . . I drove the EJ version for 7 years - it was very good car :)

#36 ·
Cost of ownership of Subies can be very low due to the ridiculously high resale values.

My '10 WRX I got $3k less than I paid for it after 4 years and 68k miles, but that involved a low trade-in to the dealer + a big check from insurance over hail damage.

My '14 WRX got totaled after 3 years and 30k miles, I got more than I paid for it back from insurance if you include reimbursement for sales tax.

My '16 STi Ltd I got for $37k with 600 miles on, it stickered for over $43k and came with around $6k worth of extras purchased by the previous owner so I'm off to a good start! :)

I've gotten lucky, but even looking at normal sale prices it's a pretty good deal to get to drive a car like the WRX/STi so inexpensively. Buy new and sell around 4 yr/50k miles seems to work well... but I could see keeping my '16 STi long term and having fun with modding it, a bigger turbo would be so nice in this car. The STi is so much better than the WRXs I owned. I wasn't a huge fan of the GR STis but the VAs are pretty awesome, great chassis and suspension... it's a really nice car.

#44 · (Edited)
Hopefully soon enough. I am personally tired to see how other inferior car manufacturers have blown the doors out of the STIs in the last few years. Look at the Camaros now, dragstrip beast, road course beast. Even the V6 getting much better gas mileage and also beatin the ST on road course.

The STI needs to come up with a dual option of transmission(manual and dual clutch type), also a stout engine(close deck, forged pistons). The rumble is nice but the engine configuration with the boxer style makes the mass of the engine disturbingly big.

es you have the "center of gravity" but you also have the tall a$ intake manifold, the turbo on top, the intercooler hoovering 3 feet from the ground and you still have like 5 feet of exhaust piping from the driver side bank of cylinders to the turbo(not ideal).

The rear bias AWD is nice and the steering is impressive also. The STI lacks on innovation in the engine department. Although as I am getting older I am more incline into the modern autos and DSG type auto I am still impressed with the manual 6 speed STI (current one) with the short shifter, it is a beautiful feeling.

and last but not least: The gas mileage!!!! what a shame from the Subaru engineers. The gas mileage on the Subarus STI is embarrassing. Not even close to advertized. The last two long trips that I did m my STIS on I-10 I got 21mpg at 75mph with the cruise control and not using the A/C and a I would do about 215-220miles in the ciity with 16 freaking galons and I would get 180 miles on E-85 with 16 galons, really bad.

#48 ·
OP already owned a 2015 STI so I think it's just wishful thinking that he can mute the STI in what is effectively it's main purpose: track style handling and planted traction.

Look into the RS Audi models if you want a better blend of ride comfort and performance. I also highly recommend the M series from BMW.

Buying an STI to make it feel more civilized is akin to dating a hooker and hoping she turns into a Stepford wife.

#66 ·
I tend to agree with the suggestion that the STI should stay the rawer option and not give in to mainstream pressure to become more sterile. The Golf R is a fantastic all rounder, but it is not as engaging now as fun, which I think is where the STI differentiates itself.

It will be difficult to beat the Golf R on refinement, as VW has a treasure chest of trickle down parts from more expensive cars to choose from (adaptable and electronically adjustable dampers, smooth/refined engine, low NVH generally, noise isolation, etc from Audis and larger cars generally). If Subaru goes in this direction to generate more mass appeal (including with DCTs) they've lost the plot, would lose their distinctiveness and I would look elsewhere for my next car. I suspect that contrary to what some have written here, they would do likewise with their money in the same circumstance.

Best to stay the course and get incrementally better rather then reinvent (I.e., an FA or newer engine, continue to stiffen the chassis, perhaps add adustable dampers).

I don't think this is a performance based argument, though. Having seen a few direct head to head track tests, I strongly suspect the STI would be as fast as the much newer focus Rs if wearing the same tires (numbers from multiple tests show it's just as fast in a straight line too). That's with aN engine that is 10 years older, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.