IW STi Forum banner

Anyone who went to an SS, still got your OEM shift lever?

Transmission/Drivetrain 
1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Scott2011STI 
#1 ·
Need a few measurements, specifically concerning the shrink tubing around the top of the shift lever. Would really appreciate it, wish I had kept mine in 20/20 hindsight :mad:

#3 · (Edited)
Hahaha, wow, awesome! I thought all would've been lost as this thread had so many views and no replies.

Essentially what I'm trying to determine is the shrink tubing length and placement on the shaft so I can put some on my aftermarket lever, I have a pretty annoying reverse lockout click between shifts and sometimes a rattle at certain RPMs during acceleration. I can rule out the cable because mine is a TiC Tallboy shifter so the cable doesn't need extra zip tying.

All I truly need to know is the length of both pieces of shrink tubing as well as their spacing. So I'd imagine the easiest way to determine that would be to measure from the disk/base of the lockout up to the very bottom of the first piece, and then from the top of that shorter piece of tubing to the bottom of the longer piece. Also if it wouldn't be too much more trouble could you also get the difference in diameter of the bare shaft (lol) vs a part where the tubing is on it? Trying to determine the thickness of the shrink tubing wall. I have some thinwall stuff on order right now, and I was planning on essentially winging it, but this is a gigantic help. Was thinking I would've had to buy a lever on ebay just for measurements :(

Edit: Damnit, just saw the piece on the bottom too, right on the disk basically...don't think I can replicate that, older levers don't seem to have this....:mad:

#5 ·
Might sound snobby but I'm not much for Perrin logos all over the place. Gonna try this as it's a cheap alternative. The tubing must've been there for a reason from the factory. But, if this doesn't work I will go with the Perrin one....I wonder if there's a way to take the logo off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.