IW STi Forum banner

Going Stage 2(+)?

Thoughts/Review/Comparison 
6K views 44 replies 19 participants last post by  ATLBuckeye 
#1 ·
So after 5k miles of ownership, I decided to pull the trigger on some bolt ons. Today I just ordered an Invidia catless downpipe (with grimmspeed adapter), Cobb access port, and AEM intake from the vender gotboostinc. I've done some reading about how the OTS stuff from Cobb is less than desirable and I'm planning on getting a custom tune from most likely AMS since I'm originally from the town the shop is located. My question is what other supporting mods would I need before I get protuned? And what OTS map should I use with the above mods? I will pick up an ebc prior to getting the tune, and like many others I have no idea what exhaust I want to run. I'm between nameless axle back (5" mufflers with 4" tips) and a perrin catback (since they seem to be less desired and are on sale with some vendors but I like the resonated catback sound). As far as power goals I would like to stay on the more conservative side of stage 2 until I have the funds for an engine build.. This is my first Subaru and I just want to have a quality build. I will start a build thread when my parts arrive. So far I have been enjoying the Sti stock with the Alpine SPS 610/610Cs and power pack amp as my first interior mod. Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
I have enough mods to support a big turbo, minus the turbo and a built short block. Havent installed anything yet besides the turbo back exhaust and a Cobb OTS tune. Ive got a bad feeling though. Considering going back to stock in case something horrible goes wrong. Im torn. Im at a tipping point.

#6 ·
I wouldn't go to AMS, they are a joke and treat you like shit unless you are doing a major build with them. Check out APM, they did my Stage 2 build (APM Intake, APM EBCS, Invidia DP, Tune). There service is top notch, you could also look into P&L and Six Star, all around the same area.

#8 ·
I suppose that has some truth, the kids that had work done at AMS had alot of mommy and daddy money to spend on outrageous builds in high school. I believe I gave APM a call and never heard back, and I also was looking into boostin performance (or something like that). I'm really looking to wake up the Sti and keep it on the "conservative" side for another year or so. That's when I'll start looking for a shop to build my motor. I appreciate the replies though! kdub shoot me a pm to discuss your build. I'm originally from the Saint Charles area, but I did college then joined the good ol Army. So now chicagoland is a boring 7 hour drive haha.

#14 ·
My stage 2 build was similar. Grimmspeed catted downpipe, Grimmspeed ebc, I did an areomotive fuel pump. I ran the Cobb stage 2 OTS for 2 weeks while waiting for a protune. Day before my protune I installed my EBC and intake. Drove the car and didn't boost to the protune and away I went. Tune was solid car pulls nice. I would recommend the fuel pump to your build. Inj can't hurt but you can manage with out them just staying stage 2.

#23 ·
I would recommend both. If you're going with any kind of header, you're most likely going to purchase a full manifold/uppipe combo anyway. An AOS is definitely required on any turbocharged engine, especially when going above stock levels.

#27 ·
Well my #1 choice for exhaust just popped up FS here on the forum with the exact configuration I was interested in, nameless catback with 5" mufflers and 4" double wall tips, so maybe its a sign. haha see if i can pull the trigger on it and scratch my mod itch. But to address the injector/pump thoughts. I have read some threads that stage 2 won't see a fuel starvation, but I will look into the stumble fix. I wasn't planning on injectors/pump upgrades until I make my next round of mods in the near future. I appreciate the responses!

#30 ·
Well after a few F bombs and bloody knuckles... My invidia catless downpipe is in! Interesting install to say the least. I installed the AEM intake first then ran a stage 1+ OTS 93 map from cobb. After the downpipe was installed, I reflashed to stage 2 93. I live pretty much at sea level and its 80/90 degrees C since it's the summer, could anyone give me some insights about the cobb data logging? What are good metrics to view and what type of numbers should I be seeing? Thanks

#34 ·
I currently have 1,300 miles on the car and am at stage 1+ on 93 with a nameless axle back, ordering midpipe next week. I'm ready to do the down pipe as well but was hoping Cobb would do an OTS Stage 2+ map to hold me over a few months before a pro tune, I don't want to have to put the stock airbox back on. I wanted to wait on the pro tune for a fuel pump, injectors, larger intercooler, uppipe, turbo.....you know all the stage 3 goodies. I figured a stage 2+ could hold me over a few months until I get the rest of that stuff then go tune. Maybe wishful thinking, it doesn't look like Cobb has any interest in doing a 2+.

#36 ·
I went Cobb sf with box, el moore headers and tb, 1000cc injectors, and fpr at 3200 miles. Get the parts you want and install them yourself then have a tuner send you a base map and take it to him or do it in house. With a good pro tune you will never have a problem if you monitor it and do routine maintenance.

#40 ·
Yes pull the intake. I think I remember a thread about a month ago where a guy was running aftermarket air box and there were like six pages of argument whether the OTS map supported it. In the end, obviously, everyone agreed it is not supported and shortly thereafter the OP had a blown motor thread. I think there may have been other contributing factors like a dealership F up IIRC but the point is air intake is definitely a part requiring tuning on these cars. Just pop it off until you get scheduled with your tuner.

#41 ·
I don't mean to thread jack but I have a question....... I have a load of mods and I'm getting 315awhp and 400awtq on e85 and I'm trying to put this Dom 1.5 XTR on but I want to make sure I'm not fucking myself over and wasting money. This is my lost performance mod and I just want to know if I'm picking the right turbo and if I can just put it in the car since I already have a tune until my tuner can tune me again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.