IW STi Forum banner

Paint STi logo on intercooler

177K views 146 replies 102 participants last post by  mixedjuice 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A Quick and Easy way to get the STi logo on your TMIC.

1. Purchase a pre-cut stencil with adhesive backing from GraphicSTI

2. Purchase some Hi-Temp Paint. I went with Dupli-Color Caliper Paint found at AutoZone.

3. Brush off any debris that may be on your intercooler.

4. Center and adjust the stencil so that it is straight. Remove the backing from the stencil and adhere the stencil to the intercooler.

5. Mask off the area around the intercooler so you don't get any over spray.

6. Spray a light coat onto the intercooler. Let it dry and remove the masking tape and newspaper.

And enjoy...

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: How To: Paint STi logo on intercooler

^^ Yeah, I think all the DIY have pretty much the same process. Having a pre-cut stencil that sticks and stays on the intercooler is a huge plus.

I didn't want to try and attempt at printing the logo and then have to try and carefully cut out the STi.

So big props to Stenner Graphics for providing the stencil.

#8 ·

Doesn't that look more red than the actual color it usually is on the IC? Isn't the normal color a little more pink?
It looks much better in person, pictures on computers don't do any justice.

As far as the color being spot on, I'm sure it's not... but it looks great and I can't complain.

If you want the exact actual color then I wish you the best of luck in tracking it down.

#15 ·

I actually went to a stencil cutting place locally before doing mine. A 1-up job like I wanted would have been cost prohibitive. I'm glad someone stepped to the plate with the stencils for the late comers.

I may consider stripping my current logo and re-doing it with the stencil offered here. It's the whole "stripping" thing that makes me hesitate as my current one looks fine unless you know it's a little under-sized.

#16 ·

I actually went to a stencil cutting place locally before doing mine. A 1-up job like I wanted would have been cost prohibitive. I'm glad someone stepped to the plate with the stencils for the late comers.

I may consider stripping my current logo and re-doing it with the stencil offered here. It's the whole "stripping" thing that makes me hesitate as my current one looks fine unless you know it's a little under-sized.
I think you should leave it. I don't know if it would be worth trying to strip the paint off that TMIC.

#30 ·

i def want to do this too. i was going to try and make my own stencil from a print out STI on 8x14 paper, over a piece of contact paper and and exacto knife. ill take pics during and after i do it

does anyone no what the OEM size of the lettering is?

#31 ·

I thought the pink was actually called "Cherry blossom red"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.