Fuel pump / hardwire fuse? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Fuel pump / hardwire fuse?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Fuel pump / hardwire fuse?
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 03-05-17, 09:24 AM   #1
DanielC409
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Subaru Parts for sale

DanielC409 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel pump / hardwire fuse?

Hey guys, been awhile. So in the past few months I've been getting the cylinder 4 misfire code but never got around to chasing down the problem.

Skip ahead to yesterday, I drove it an hr and a half to Houston and i could tell it was running a bit weak. Made it home, refueled ( e85 ). Stopped a grocery store, threw code, reset it and cranked it up. Idle was just horrible and missing like crazy. Shut her down, restarted ran fine.

Skip ahead a few hours, go to restart it and she wouldn't fire. Fuel pump wasnt priming and I pop the hood and notice the fuse on the wire that connects to the battery ( hardwire line? ) was toast.

Im not very electrically savvy so I'm not really sure what could be the problem. Possibly a clogged injector causing pump to work too much and blown the fuse? Or just a failed injector? It's my fault for not fixing this issue sooner but yea.

I don't know the fuel system at all and don't know how to access the injectors to mess with it. Couldn't seem to find any good how to's. Currently waiting for a tow truck to get it home. I have a picture but don't know how to attach it from phone at the moment. It's the fusible link that's burned up.

Mod list:
2011 STi 345whp 400wtq E85 TopSpeed tuned

Fuel components:

Walbro 480lph pump hard wired
TSM 1150 topfeed injectors

Last edited by DanielC409; 03-05-17 at 10:58 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-05-17, 01:38 PM   #2
DanielC409
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Fuel pump / hardwire fuse?

Got her towed to the house, don't feel like messing with it today but I going to pull cylinder 4 plug and look at the coil and see how it looks.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-05-17, 01:58 PM   #3
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud of

Pop a new fuse in of the same amperage value and see if it pops again. If it does, you have a short.

As for the #4 cylinder, not enough information and it's clear you have a fueling issue prior to the injectors and I'd focus on that first.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-05-17, 02:36 PM   #4
DanielC409
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
Pop a new fuse in of the same amperage value and see if it pops again. If it does, you have a short.

As for the #4 cylinder, not enough information and it's clear you have a fueling issue prior to the injectors and I'd focus on that first.
I'm gonna have to get another fusible link, it's melted basically. It's the wire coming off my batter, there is an inline fuse ( the fusible link? ) that's just toasted.

I tried removing my back seat but it was raining and one of the tabs just wouldn't pop out so I couldn't get a good look at all the wiring.

On the drive to Houston, I could feel it missing .. like when you're talking and someone tugs on the back of your shirt to slow you down a bit, that's what it felt like.

Here's some pics .. I tried pulling the fuse out but the top ripped off. The mods were made back in 2014 and installed at Topspeed. I live back in Texas now so help from them would be limited.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel pump / hardwire fuse?-fusible-link-2-jpg   Fuel pump / hardwire fuse?-fusible-link-jpg  

Last edited by DanielC409; 03-05-17 at 02:41 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-05-17, 03:04 PM   #5
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud of

You can order a new fuse holder or probably pick one up at the store. You can test it with a multimeter to see if it's already grounding out.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-05-17, 03:31 PM   #6
DanielC409
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Can you school me real quick how to use it? Honestly never used a multimeter. I mean I know what they are but never messed with one. I hate electricity lol. Like what two points if contact etc.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-05-17, 03:42 PM   #7
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

How to test for continuity with a digital multimeter

This will be done with one end on the power wire and another on a vehicle ground.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-05-17, 04:14 PM   #8
DanielC409
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks a lot, I'll look into it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-17, 10:31 AM   #9
DanielC409
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Haven't gotten around to getting a multimeter, but I think it's going to be necessary now.

I changed out the fuse holder and wire with a fresh fuse but still no action from the fuel pump.

I have access to the fuel pump but I don't know anything about it.

Could the wrong size fuse keep it from working? I could've swore it was a 30a fuse but my tuning shop said it was 20a. Don't know how much of a difference that would make.

Anything else I could possibly check besides continuity? I'll have to scrounge up a meter.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel pump / hardwire fuse?-fresh-fuse-holder-jpg  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-17, 10:34 AM   #10
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

Too small a fuse will blow as soon as you fire up the pump. Too late getting offers lesser protection for limiting current when you have an issue suck as a short.

Sounds like the pump is toast.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0