Fuel pump / hardwire fuse? - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Fuel pump / hardwire fuse?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Fuel pump / hardwire fuse?
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 03-11-17, 11:02 AM   #11
DanielC409
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Subaru Parts for sale

DanielC409 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fuel pump / hardwire fuse?

I removed the pump cover and it's super fricken dusty in there. Not sure how common for debris to get in there but it's covered in dust. I've been driving to work down a rocky / dusty road the past few months. I'm grabbing a multimeter now to see what I can discover.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-17, 11:25 AM   #12
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud of

The top of the tank is not sealed off from the road.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-14-17, 11:46 AM   #13
wongsar
Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 05 White STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

wongsar is an unknown quantity at this point

I had similar issues when I first had my walbro 455 hardwired. The car would just randomly shut off as I was driving. After a few minutes it cooled down enough for me to be able to flip the switch on the circuit breaker and I could start and drive it again.

Follow the wire back and see where it is routed. When the shop first did it, they routed it along the firewall across to the passenger side into the grommet which runs right behind the turbo creating extra heat. It basically overheated my wires causing a spike in amperage and popping the circuit open. I did feel the wires after one instance and they were mushy and hot.

If this is the case, just go out and buy like 15 feet of wire and reroute it through the driver side firewall grommet then behind the radio to the passenger side and back to the fuel pump. After I did this, it never had this issue again.
Outfront Motorsports Closed Deck Block, CP 9:1 Pistons, Killer Bee Oil pan pickup and baffle, Cosworth Heads, Borg Warner EFR 7163, ETS FMIC, 3in FullRace DP, cossy intake manifold, tgv deletes, FIC1650. YimiSport sd tuned E85 - 514 WHP 480 WTQ
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-17-17, 07:47 PM   #14
DanielC409
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

DanielC409 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongsar View Post
I had similar issues when I first had my walbro 455 hardwired. The car would just randomly shut off as I was driving. After a few minutes it cooled down enough for me to be able to flip the switch on the circuit breaker and I could start and drive it again.

Follow the wire back and see where it is routed. When the shop first did it, they routed it along the firewall across to the passenger side into the grommet which runs right behind the turbo creating extra heat. It basically overheated my wires causing a spike in amperage and popping the circuit open. I did feel the wires after one instance and they were mushy and hot.

If this is the case, just go out and buy like 15 feet of wire and reroute it through the driver side firewall grommet then behind the radio to the passenger side and back to the fuel pump. After I did this, it never had this issue again.
Thanks, I'll give it another look over.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0