IW STi Forum banner

Fuel Pump Upgrade Thoughts on Built Engine

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  CTSparky 
#1 ·
I have finally decided to build my 2010 STI after almost 6 years of owning her. Anyway i am in the IAG bandwagon they are building me a long block. It is their Stage 3 short block and Stage 3 heads with Kelford cams 264/260.

I have decided not to go rotated due to emission laws here in CO. I have zero'ed in on Blouch Dom 3.5 XTR 10cm. I will be running IAG's fuel rails and ID1300. I currently have DW65 fuel pump. I am unsure if i should upgrade or just stay with that pump. We have E85 in CO.

The question becomes will the pump limit me or should it provide plenty given the size of my turbo?

Also Radium is coming out with an in tank fuel pump hanger with different pump options. I like the walbro 450 E85.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
DW65 is hit or miss on reliability. One Walbro 465 on E85 is more than enough for that turbo

#7 ·
I read somewhere that this pump is rated at >500HP and that anything below that may cause some performance issue. I wish i could find that site, but i think i read it in one of online store selling it.

I thought its the job of the fuel regulator to control flow. At our altitude, I'm really hoping I pass the magic 400WHP with 3.5xtr. So hopefully this 450 pump is not overkill for my goals.

#8 ·
I was initially thinking instead of getting radiums new pnp in tank fuel pump hanger, i would leave my dw65 and add a surge tank instead. Even though i've had my dw65 for 2 years w/o issues, l hear more and more people like yourself not trusting it. So i'm inclined to replace that and Radium seems logical since it's pnp.

i think an additional surge tank, id2000 would be too overkill for me. I had a lot of fun tracking my honda civic during my younger days (old guy here @45) So i think i will build one for track and keep my STI as DD. I'm hoping i could get 100K or more miles out of this new IAG long block and use my civic for fun. Thats the plan anyway.

#5 ·
My plans are close to yours and I will be upgrading to the Radium hanger with a Walbro 465 which will be more than enough for my 2.5XT-R.

One thing IAG recommended to me was to upgrade the size of the fuel feed line.

#6 · (Edited)
My plans are close to yours and I will be upgrading to the Radium hanger with a Walbro 465 which will be more than enough for my 2.5XT-R.
One thing IAG recommended to me was to upgrade the size of the fuel feed line.
Walbro's Model numbers are sooo confusing. Radium reviewed 400 and yet they only sell 450. Of course there's the 465 you talked about. Is 465 discontinued replaced by 450?

Is this the hard line from tank that runs on the floor through the firewall on driver side? Hmmm. I have to think hard on this now. more DIY.

#13 ·
I was also wondering about the Walbro noise level. My 255lph pump was louder than the Aeromotive 340. I hope the Walbro 465 isn't as loud since I'll eventually be running 2 of them :lol:

#16 ·
Why can't you go rotated? They don't even put cars newer than '04 on the rollers anymore. I passed the alternative fuel vehicle inspection with a rotated 30r and I can go in the HOV lanes with the hybrids now. If you're just going in for the usual renewal inspection all they do is check the OBDII for codes.

Also, 1,000cc ID are good for up to ~475whp at our altitude. You just need to bump the base pressure a bit. I would jump up to a Walbro 465. If you can swing it, do a surge tank with the big Wally inside and a 255lph in the tank or just keep what you have in tank.

#18 ·
Whitecab you should REALLY consider going rotated. You will see quicker spool and more power out of the same size turbo, plus it's much easier to work on & upgrade down the road. If you have any questions about passing emissions in Colorado with a rotated setup PM me. You should make yourself familiar with the changes last year though. The tests have become much more relaxed.

Air Care Colorado :: About the Test

"Vehicles eight (8) through 11 years old require an OBD "plug-in" inspection only"

You won't have to do an actual smog test to renew your registration until 2021. You can also pass the smog test if you install a GESi converter, it is an EPA certified factory replacement. I elected to take the smog test to be certified as an alternative fuel vehicle and passed with flying colors.

If you're running E85 you should have no problem breaking 400awhp on that size turbo. The Boost Creep's dyno is one of the lowest reading among Colorado tuners and I made 444awhp/430awtq with a rotated GT3076R using a 0.63AR hot-side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.