IW STi Forum banner

STi Engine Issues (Knocking @ 2K RPM)

7K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  TimM 
#1 · (Edited)
Been hovering this site for awhile and now have an reason to set up an account and have my first official post...

I purchased my '14 STi brand new in November 2013, fast forward to June 2015 and I noticed my engine making some fairly awful sounds. The car only has 8,XXX miles. Called up the dealership and plan to take it in on Monday.

I bought my car knowing full well that there were noted engine issues with STi's in general but felt that it was largely the vocal minority making a big stink about isolated issues. This has definitely opened my eyes a bit as I take very good care of my car and fully intended to drive it until the wheels fell off (200,000+ miles).

https://youtu.be/_BlnJG50RIc

Here are some details:
Oil - Changed every 3K miles by Subaru
Gas - Costco 93
No Modifications
Break in per drivers manual instructions
Knocking starts at 2K RPM

UPDATE 1:

I dropped the car off at Subaru today. They say it will take them 10 hours to get it torn apart, assess, and relay details to SOA. At that point they will determine if it is eligible for warranty replacement.

Seeing as how the car is and has always been 100% stock and has not been driven hard I don't foresee any issues.

I am still somewhat surprised that the engine had a failure after 8,000 miles. I bought the car because I wanted a semi reliable stock car that was a higher performing, fun daily driver. When I say reliable, I mean something that shouldn't have any significant issues like this until over 100,000 miles...

UPDATE 2:

Seems like this will have been a relatively quick opened/closed issue. They tore the motor apart and found it spun a bearing and are replacing the short block. Did not offer much more explanation other than "we see this all the time." Should have it back by Monday which is only a week after dropping it off.

Hopefully it holds together better this time around. I have another 3.5 years/42,000 miles to test it out.

At least I got a free oil change...it was due.

UPDATE 3:

The failure was in cylinder #2

UPDATE 4:

Car is back from the dealer. Fully covered under warranty. Purrs like a kitten...for now!

See less See more
#4 ·
I guess I need to clarify the original post:

I purchased this car brand new and it carries the standard 3yr/36K warranty.

I was referring to knowing about STi's in general having engine problems. I overlooked it as the whiny minority.

Now that we covered that the car is under warranty. The dealer told me to drive it in since the check engine light is not on. Should I request a tow or just go off of their advice?

#14 ·
This - ASK me how I know...

If you are completely stock and dont mind waiting - Go to the dealer and get that sucker warrantied and replaced by Subaru.

Argue for a Long Block and to check the turbo.

If you have the coin and don't care about the warranty any more - Now is an OPPORTUNE time to go and get it built to make some real power in the future :D:tup:

#13 · (Edited)
I should have clarified, you won't hit full boost in 1st @2k RPM. Edited

I still wouldn't recommend going WOT that low of an RPM in any high gear. Really the only time one should ever do WOT at that RPM is if they're data logging/tuning.

If you do it for the sake of doing it, well then you're kind of an idiot.:)

Expect to have a roached engine in the near future if one continues to do this.

#15 ·
I dropped the car off at Subaru today. They say it will take them 10 hours to get it torn apart, assess, and relay details to SOA. At that point they will determine if it is eligible for warranty replacement.

Seeing as how the car is and has always been 100% stock and has not been driven hard I don't foresee any issues.

I am still somewhat surprised that the engine had a failure after 8,000 miles. I bought the car because I wanted a semi reliable stock car that was a higher performing, fun daily driver. When I say reliable, I mean something that shouldn't have any significant issues like this until over 100,000 miles...

#34 ·
Funny how someone reads one thing online and now there an expert. Its not WOT at 2000 rpm that blows engines. Its a combination of things going on that you need to have an understanding of. A properly built and tuned engine should be able to handle WOT right off idle However, Low rpm, a pretty much stoich a/f ratio, extremely high cylinder pressure/Temperature, and High ignition timing is what will pop a motor on the nicest day of the year no matter what you drive.

Cobb recommends datalogs WOT from 2000 rpm up. I think someone needs to call them then and tell them their ruining everyones motors.

One thing I will agree on. If you have the factory tune I would only WOT above 3500 rpm to be safe. Oh and use common sense, if you punch it in a high gear and the car starts shaking, let off, thats bad.

#35 ·
Rather entertaining...

The lowend torque the Subaru has is one of the things I really like it for when daily driving. Its reponse in top gear is quite impressive...especially with a turbo car.

I've driven it with little concern about what gear I'm in for ~177,000 miles. No issue. With the Stage II + stuff, the OEM turbo seemed to begin spooling around 2200 rpm and full boost not long after.

I would imagine there is a point where too much boost will inflict harm on a well maintained engine, but I find it hard to believe that Subaru would let it go out the door stock and be able to kill itself.

OP: unfortunate you lost an engine...Subarus do seem to be rather fragile.

Fun cars though...Saturday's event.

#36 ·
UPDATE 2

Seems like this will have been a relatively quick opened/closed issue. They tore the motor apart and found it spun a bearing and are replacing the short block. Did not offer much more explanation other than "we see this all the time." Should have it back by Monday which is only a week after dropping it off.

Hopefully it holds together better this time around. I have another 3.5 years/42,000 miles to test it out.

At least I got a free oil change...it was due.

#38 ·
Bummer...at least it will be a quick fix (from experience).

Not sure I would have kept mine if it failed from normal driving in such a short time...I've always been a champion of Subaru reliability/durability.

#44 ·
That is exactly what I did...178,000 miles ago. Very low oil consumption (.5 quarter 3000 miles) and 140 psi even on the compression test.

Wish you better luck with this engine's longevity.

Reactions: planoSTI
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.