Product Feeler: A Different kind of turbo kit... SPOOLINATOR - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Product Feeler: A Different kind of turbo kit... SPOOLINATOR
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Product Feeler: A Different kind of turbo kit... SPOOLINATOR
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 04-21-14, 07:22 AM   #1
killerbmotorsport
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Car: Blue 05 WRX STi
Fav Mod: It's all good
My Subaru Parts for sale

killerbmotorsport is a jewel in the roughkillerbmotorsport is a jewel in the roughkillerbmotorsport is a jewel in the rough
Default Product Feeler: A Different kind of turbo kit... SPOOLINATOR

Something we are working on and looking for feedback...

This product is great for those that have made incremental upgrades, don't want to spend the bigger bucks for a 'rotated' kit, but have outgrown the OEM turbo's power levels. Uncompromised mid-sized turbo performance in a lower cost package.

These results were obtained using a Garrett GTX3067-R on our shop 2012 STi. We are still undergoing testing, but so far results have been very good.

Two Dyno plots. First from Prime Motorsing's Mustang Dyno, where a strong stage II STi reads ~275whp, and a second street pull using virtual dyno. Based on experience, the car feels like the mustang numbers are 25whp low and the virtual numbers are 25hp too high. It feels like a 355+whp car, but probably not more than 375whp. What is really astonishing is the responsiveness at low RPM. One observation that was made is intake temps were climbing in the upper RPMs likely due to heat soak of the OEM intercooler. Car will be put back on the dyno after the ETS TMIC shows up.

Please feel free to post your questions, comments or concerns.

Thanks!

OEM Oil Pickup Failures vs. The Ultimate Oil Pickup

V2 High Performance Aluminum OIL PAN

Brushed Delrin Shift knobs - Grab Our Knobs - It's Good Shift! CLICK HERE!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-21-14, 08:31 AM   #2
HeatSource
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: '99 WRB RS coupe
Fav Mod: EJ207
My Subaru Parts for sale

HeatSource is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Product Feeler: A Different kind of turbo kit... SPOOLINATOR

i may be asking an obvious question, but what is the difference between this and swapping in a larger stock location turbo like a blouch dom2.0xtr? i havent dealt with anything beyond a vf48 swap if you can even call that a real swap haha
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-21-14, 08:42 AM   #3
ENDRTuning
Account Inactive
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 15 WRX
Fav Mod: Tooning!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ENDRTuning is an unknown quantity at this point

It looks to me as if its a pseudo stock location setup they are posting. It looks like its stock location in the idea that the inlet goes under the manifold, but the turbo itself sits back further from the engine a little bit. Just speculation of course, but it looks to be a custom up pipe to better position a larger turbo in the stock location.

The only reason I am not sure on this is because its looks like they are using some of the oem brakets for supports on the up pipe. Not sure....
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-21-14, 08:47 AM   #4
HeatSource
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: '99 WRB RS coupe
Fav Mod: EJ207
My Subaru Parts for sale

HeatSource is on a distinguished road

i am in the middle of mapping out my plan if my engine goes and this might be the ticket. if the turbo is pushed back a bit it would be interesting to see how FMIC kits would work. maybe something Killer B should consider if they havent already
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-21-14, 10:14 AM   #5
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough

I'm liking what I'm seeing.

I'm currently torn on my future turbo setup, but the power and 300 wtq figure looks to be at the right RPM.

Would you be able to fab up a v-band outlet that worked with the APS turbo back? Maybe with the EWG routed into the exhaust?

Will this work on the GDs?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-21-14, 10:48 AM   #6
killerbmotorsport
Authorized Vendor

My Subaru Parts for sale

killerbmotorsport is a jewel in the roughkillerbmotorsport is a jewel in the roughkillerbmotorsport is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatSource View Post
i may be asking an obvious question, but what is the difference between this and swapping in a larger stock location turbo like a blouch dom2.0xtr? i havent dealt with anything beyond a vf48 swap if you can even call that a real swap haha
The OEM location 'turbo kits' use an OEM like housing. They are not performance oriented like a Tial turbine housing and you don't have any choices for which A/R choices for the turbine housing with an OEM style housing. You get what they make and what they make is one size. I am not 100% certain, but I believe this turbo is very similar in flow to the Blouch 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDRTuning View Post
It looks to me as if its a pseudo stock location setup they are posting. It looks like its stock location in the idea that the inlet goes under the manifold, but the turbo itself sits back further from the engine a little bit. Just speculation of course, but it looks to be a custom up pipe to better position a larger turbo in the stock location.

The only reason I am not sure on this is because its looks like they are using some of the oem brakets for supports on the up pipe. Not sure....
The turbo sits in nearly the same location as stock. Any up-pipe can be used (we used our with our holy header) as this bolts onto the up-pipe's turbo flange. All the OEM brackets are retained, which we always prefer (in any kit) as they are rock solid mounting points.

Kit includes tial housing adapter, downpipe, hardware and ancillary bits (oil feed, drain, etc.) to run a GTX turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatSource View Post
i am in the middle of mapping out my plan if my engine goes and this might be the ticket. if the turbo is pushed back a bit it would be interesting to see how FMIC kits would work. maybe something Killer B should consider if they havent already
Any FMIC, or TMIC, that can be mounted to the OEM turbo will work with this kit. The outlet of the Garrett GTX3067 (or any GTX30) is in the same location as the stock turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3h_Clap View Post
I'm liking what I'm seeing.

I'm currently torn on my future turbo setup, but the power and 300 wtq figure looks to be at the right RPM.

Would you be able to fab up a v-band outlet that worked with the APS turbo back? Maybe with the EWG routed into the exhaust?

Will this work on the GDs?
Not that we couldn't, but that's more custom fab shop territory than production based. We can engineer, design and manufacture almost anything you could need, but the cost would be huge compared with what a fabricator could offer.

So far we've only designed it with a VTA WG, since it is made to work with anyone's up-pipe, rerouting the WG becomes an impossible feat.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-21-14, 10:54 AM   #7
ENDRTuning
Account Inactive
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 15 WRX
Fav Mod: Tooning!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ENDRTuning is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahh I see it now. So its just adapting the 3 bolt flange to a v band flange so a good exhaust housing can be used for a good stock location turbo. I like it!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-21-14, 10:57 AM   #8
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbmotorsport View Post
Not that we couldn't, but that's more custom fab shop territory than production based. We can engineer, design and manufacture almost anything you could need, but the cost would be huge compared with what a fabricator could offer.

So far we've only designed it with a VTA WG, since it is made to work with anyone's up-pipe, rerouting the WG becomes an impossible feat.
Makes sense. I like how this all sounds though. Very promising.

This would be an easy upgrade for everyone who is already EWG. Brilliant if you ask me.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-21-14, 10:58 AM   #9
killerbmotorsport
Authorized Vendor

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDRTuning View Post
Ahh I see it now. So its just adapting the 3 bolt flange to a v band flange so a good exhaust housing can be used for a good stock location turbo. I like it!
Yes. It sounds easy when you say it like that... but it was a pain in the to make happen

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-21-14, 10:59 AM   #10
killerbmotorsport
Authorized Vendor

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3h_Clap View Post
Makes sense. I like how this all sounds though. Very promising.

This would be an easy upgrade for everyone who is already EWG. Brilliant if you ask me.
Exactly, why toss the stuff you've already bought! It's a step between an OEM turbo housing setup with lackluster performance, and spending bigger money going rotated. The big question is... with the nice housing is a decent spot, does it meet the performance of rotated? More to come on this one.

Thanks!!

Last edited by killerbmotorsport; 04-21-14 at 11:02 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0