Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Sticky Tires
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TMF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oil coolers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSpeedInnovations View Post
The best option if you really need a cooler based on current temps getting too high is to remove the factory cooler. This presents some challenges specifically on the 08+ cars because there are limited orientations for the sandwich plate without hitting the AVCS, Manifold, Timing Cover or Oil Pan. If you can get it all to fit or want to make a spacer to clear the timing cover then that is the best way to go. As mentioned the only advantage of keeping the cooler is to help heat the oil during cold starts but if you are to the point of installing an oil cooler then I am guessing that waiting a few more minutes to let the oil warm up wont be a big concern.

As for the oil pressure, in general the pressure loss from the core and additional lines will be negated by the more consistent lower oil temperatures in our experience. The oil pressure you are seeing is pretty common numbers for a STI after a long track session. What kind and weight of oil are you using?
First, thanks for the info and response. Perrin's kit removes the stock oil cooler, and the kit looks like it includes a spacer to solve clearance issues. However, I am not a huge fan of Perrin. They do use a setrab cooler in their kit, so perhaps it wouldn't be a bad choice.

Perrin Oil Cooler Kit Subaru WRX 2002-2014 / STI 2004-2015 PSP-OIL-100 at RallySportDirect.com

I still drive the car on the street once or twice a week, and I normally let the car warm up for at least 5-10 minutes. I guess keeping the stock "cooler" to help warm the oil might be nice in my case, because it would take quite some time to warm the oil without it.

And I'm glad to hear that my oil pressure is in line with what you are seeing. I do not currently have an oil temp gauge (I have an oil pressure gauge obviously), but since temp and pressure are related, I think it is safe to assume that the lower oil pressure during the track session is due to higher temps.

I'm currently running Amsoil Dominator 15w-50 oil, OEM JDM 12mm oil pump, on a Rallispec street block. Stock turbo, but stage 2 + E85. The pump and oil were the recommendation of Rallispec.

So now I need to figure out:
-retain or remove the stock oil cooler (I would prefer to retail the stock cooler for warm-up and ease of install)
-what size oil cooler core to run
-what temp thermostat
-whether or not the sandwich plate, lines, fittings, etc will clear stock headers and eventually equal length headers (KillerB's)

I'd prefer to buy a kit with mounts, but I'm not against building my own kit...it would probably be a lot cheaper.

Last edited by TMF; 10-03-14 at 06:37 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-14, 06:25 AM   #42
Micmicmotorbike
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: 2012 Sti Sedan
Fav Mod: Racing stripes
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Micmicmotorbike is an unknown quantity at this point

I would do whatever is easiest. With fitting a custom kit, it's just trial and error. I'm def one for prefabed kits bc they did all the testing w fitment. I just hate wasting time. ESP w 2 babies and a wife to tend to.
I'll keep plugging mishimoto.- and no I have no ties w them.
As for the thermostatic plate, go with the 200f one. That's what normal operating oil temps should be. The 180f one can keep the oil a bit too cool. ESP if u drive it in the winter for us colder states.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-20-15, 07:53 AM   #43
TMF
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: Sticky Tires
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TMF is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick update on the route I went:

I got the Mishimoto Oil Cooler Kit for the 08 STI, with the the thermostatic plate and 185*F thermostat.

Install was actually very easy. The thermostatic plate and lines fit with the stock headers. I've heard from others that it should fit with the killerb headers also. I'm assuming that would require re-positioning the plate and lines though.

I do not have an oil temp gauge, but I do have an oil pressure gauge. One of my goals for the oil cooler, was to increase oil pressure from the lower oil temps...which was a success! So far anyway.

So on Rotella T6 on my built motor (Rallispec street block), at "hot" idle, my oil pressure was around 8-10 psi. Rallispec said that was fine because there is very low load, but it still made me nervous.

Now with the oil cooler installed, despite Mishimoto's website stating that the oil cooler can cause 3-4 psi loss of pressure, my hot idle pressure is now at about 12-14 psi

At higher RPM's, the oil pressure seems to be about the same, but I also haven't ran it in a track day yet...just some limited street driving so far. My hope is that oil pressures stay high in the higher rpm's even during 15-20 minute track sessions.

Other notes, I normally use Amsmoil Dominator 15W-50 for the summer and track/autox events, so my oil pressures are typically much higher across the board. I had T6 in it over the winter for storage (I haven't switched to the 15W-50 yet since it is still a bit chilly) so that was my point of reference for these numbers.

I hope this helps anyone in their research for oil coolers.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-15, 10:35 AM   #44
Mishimoto
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2003 WRB WRX Wagon
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Mishimoto is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
Just a quick update on the route I went:

I got the Mishimoto Oil Cooler Kit for the 08 STI, with the the thermostatic plate and 185*F thermostat.

Install was actually very easy. The thermostatic plate and lines fit with the stock headers. I've heard from others that it should fit with the killerb headers also. I'm assuming that would require re-positioning the plate and lines though.

I do not have an oil temp gauge, but I do have an oil pressure gauge. One of my goals for the oil cooler, was to increase oil pressure from the lower oil temps...which was a success! So far anyway.

So on Rotella T6 on my built motor (Rallispec street block), at "hot" idle, my oil pressure was around 8-10 psi. Rallispec said that was fine because there is very low load, but it still made me nervous.

Now with the oil cooler installed, despite Mishimoto's website stating that the oil cooler can cause 3-4 psi loss of pressure, my hot idle pressure is now at about 12-14 psi

At higher RPM's, the oil pressure seems to be about the same, but I also haven't ran it in a track day yet...just some limited street driving so far. My hope is that oil pressures stay high in the higher rpm's even during 15-20 minute track sessions.

Other notes, I normally use Amsmoil Dominator 15W-50 for the summer and track/autox events, so my oil pressures are typically much higher across the board. I had T6 in it over the winter for storage (I haven't switched to the 15W-50 yet since it is still a bit chilly) so that was my point of reference for these numbers.

I hope this helps anyone in their research for oil coolers.
Thanks for the update! Great to hear our cooler is working out for you thus far. Looking forward to your results from the track this season!

-John

Old 03-26-15, 10:55 PM   #45
funks
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

funks will become famous soon enough

I'm installing the HKS Equal length header and have the Mishimoto Oil Cooler Kit w/ Thermostatic Adapter for my 2012 STI - crossing my fingers it still fits by simply repositioning the plate. The thermostatic plate that comes with the kit is a bit bulky compared to the other ones out there..
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-14-17, 10:46 PM   #46
Mr.KD
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Mr.KD is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by funks View Post
I'm installing the HKS Equal length header and have the Mishimoto Oil Cooler Kit w/ Thermostatic Adapter for my 2012 STI - crossing my fingers it still fits by simply repositioning the plate. The thermostatic plate that comes with the kit is a bit bulky compared to the other ones out there..
Plz share your experience in installing the oil cooler with equal length headers,
I am still worried about the install
I have sti+15 with Tomei Equal length headers.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-19-17, 11:29 AM   #47
funks
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

funks will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.KD View Post
Plz share your experience in installing the oil cooler with equal length headers,
I am still worried about the install
I have sti+15 with Tomei Equal length headers.
I bought all the parts but never got around to installing it though, have it for sale. I haven't been to the track for a couple of years now, don't really need it.

Oil Cooler Kit of 08-14 STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old Today, 11:41 AM   #48
mindwolf
Platinum Member

Car: wrb 2011 STi hatch
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

mindwolf is an unknown quantity at this point

confirmed fitment with killer b EL headers and Perrin oil cooler kit, hoses are close to headers but they come with protective cover
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement