IW STi Forum banner

ENTER THE GTX3576R... What's Your Take!? Any Other Comparable Suggestions ?

68K views 144 replies 24 participants last post by  Slide 
#1 · (Edited)
Garrett Releases the Garrett GTX3576R Dual Ball Bearing Turbo

A break down of the new GTX35R turbocharger with 76mm compressor wheel

Contributed By: Enginebasics.com

Garrett has just released a new turbo to there line up of new GTX billet compressor wheel turbochargers. The newest turbo is added to the 35R frame size turbo family. If you’re a little un-sure how the naming of Garrett turbo’s work it goes like this:

First two letters are the style of turbo. Garrett has the T, the GT, and now the GTX.

Next there are two numbers that denote the frame size of the turbo. Garrett has the GT15, GT25, GT28, GT30, GT35, GT37, GT40, GT42, GT45, GT50, GT55, GT60.

The next two numbers are the exducer size of the compressor wheel. So if a turbo is called the GT4088, that means the exducer size on the compressor wheel is 88mm.

Last we have the final letter or lack there of, the ‘R’. If the turbo has an ‘R’ after it than it is a ball bearing turbo. If there is no ‘R’ than it is a journal bearing turbo.

ENTER THE GTX3576R

This turbo uses a 11 blade billet compressor wheel mounted in the 35R frame size turbo in a ball bearing CHRA housing. The specs of the turbo are as follows:

Compressor Wheel

-Inducer 58 mm

-Exducer 76.6 mm

-Trim 58

Turbine Wheel

-Inducer 68 mm

-Trim 84

Some same... and additional found specs...

-Approximate Horsepower Range for Engine Capacity: 400-580Hp (2.0L-3.0L)

-CHRA(core) 706451-5035S

-Compressor Housing 803464-0003

-Compressor Housing Air Ratio: 0.60

-Compressor Wheel Inducer Size: 58.03 mm

-Compressor Wheel Trim: 58

-Turbine Wheel Exducer Size: 62.32 mm

-Turbine wheel Trim: 84

-Water Cooled Centre Housing: YES

-Ball Bearing: YES

A CLOSER LOOK AND EVALUATION

On paper this combination was bound to happen at Garrett. When Garrett originally released their new GTX series compressor wheels they were offered as the GTX3071R, GTX3076R, the GTX3582R, and the GTX4202R. The aftermarket scene jumped all over these new offerings and dyno curves were hitting the Internet in rapid form. Several companies did back to back testing off the regular GT offering of these size turbo’s compared to their GTX brothers. All of the turbo’s were showing GREAT gains, but one turbo that didn’t impress me that much was the GTX3076R. While the GTX3071R showed a 10%-15% gain on the dyno when compared to the regular GT3071R, those gains were just not there on the 76R version. When looking at dyno plots of the GTX3076R there gains were a minor 3%-5%. What gives huh? You look at the new compressor map for the 76mm billet wheel and it’s flowing more air than the much larger standard 82mm wheel of the 35R. Why is the power not there then?

SOLUTION TO THE GTX30/76R PROBLEM

The reality was that the GTX3071R saw such huge gains over the standard GT3071R, because the extra flow was a great bump in power and the 30r turbine wheel could handle the extra flow the 71mm wheel could put out. Jump to the 76mm wheel and while you might have more flow coming off the compressor wheel, the 30R’s turbine wheel was MAXED OUT! Remember that it doesn’t matter how much you can flow on the front end if you can’t get it out the back end. The turbocharged world calls these types of turbo’s mis-matches. Meaning their compressor wheels flow is not matched properly to the turbine wheels flow giving you a terrible performing turbo.

The problem with the GTX3076R turbo is that it was mismatched. The flow of the compressor is just TO MUCH for the turbine wheel to handle.

ENTER THE GTX3576R

Now we take that same billet 76mm wheel that flows more than the standard GT35R’s wheel and attach it to the 35R’s turbine wheel and you have one killer turbo. On paper this turbo should now offer equal to or slightly less power than the GT35R, but spool faster due to its smaller and lighter 76mm compressor wheel. Now we can really start to see the billet 11 blade 76mm compressor wheel SHINE! Enginebasics.com is very excited to see the performance this turbo will be able to put out.

Also take note. Be careful when comparing turbo’s from different manufactures. Make sure they are comparing APPLES TO APPLES. Full-race is one company that loves to show back to back gains of mismatched turbo’s to talk about how wonderful a turbo is. Just recently they showed a test of an EFR turbo vs a GT35R. Why would you be comparing Borg Warners newest turbo technology against a turbo Garrett brought to the market over 14 years ago back in the late 90’s. Please don’t fall for this trickery. All the turbo manufactures make great turbo’s and there performance is VERY CLOSE when compared apples to apples. Forced Performance, Borg Warner, Precision, and Garrett and just a few companies. For a comparative analysis of these companies you can check this article on “A comparison between turbo Manufacturers”.

Garrett Releases GTX3576R Turbo GTX35R

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks like its gonna spool pretty damn quick. Although I will say it seems they are taking a page out of Borg Warner's book and strapping on the same sized compressor as the EFR 7670.

#9 ·
Lol oh ... Well I can't see **** on here so maybe someone can help out or I'll take a look when I'm home after work but I would be thinking spool will be pretty
Good on this thing like the EFR GA mentioned.

#16 ·
Either way you go, EFR 7670 or GTX3576R, I think you are going to be hard pressed to find a faster spooling turbo capable of 500whp on pump.

Pro of the EFR 7670:
Everything packaged very nicely. Eliminates the need for BCS and BOV

Pro of the GTX3576R:
Available like a toilet at a bathroom convention.

#18 ·
TopSpeed Motorsports:
‎"2006 Sti on the dyno right now... RR1 motor, with new GTX3576 turbo, tuned via Cobb's Alpha SD software. Fun Fun - Doug"

Straight from their Facebook ten minutes ago.

#22 ·
If Cicio doesn't post it I will call him and remind him to do it.

Scooby, I just found you on FB from that post by TopSpeed. Friend request coming from a scrawny looking dude.
Saw that. At first I was like, well he has an STi so we can be friends. Then I realized oh **** it's Madman :lol:

#21 ·
Garrett had to do something. The gtx3076 is crap and the new BW turbos look very promising as long as you can get one. If Garrett wants to keep up they had to release something to compete with the EFR's

I look forward to dyno plots and logs of the GTX3576

#26 ·
Dynojet. It doesn't read as high as people think Dynojet's do either. They were only 6whp higher on back to back runs between their Dynojet and Forged performances Dyno Dynamics with a GTR as the test.

#32 ·
Watching this thread like a hawk just posted my 6day used gt3076r to buy this beast .

I am calling ATP Tomarrow to see what they an do for me and my vendor also so between the two I am praying for a great deal and to have one in my engine bay .

Any info would be awsome .

#35 ·
You ****ers better give a **** ton of reps for this.

I just got off the phone with Cicio about the '06 STi that had a GTX3576R recently added and he gave some interesting information.

The car originally had a GTX3076 and the only thing that changed was the turbo. The car did have GSC S2 cams and was only getting a break in tune, but from what they saw the GTX3576R was spooling exactly like the GTX3076, but had potential for much more top end.

Again this car was dynoed with the same headers, fuel, motor, injectors etc. and provide the same spool as its smaller counterpart.

My next question was how does it compare to say the HTA3582 and he said this will out spool it and retain the same/better power up top.

So really there is no reason to even get anything else. Can you imagine twin scroll, cams, E85?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.