Let's beat a dead horse. Longevity and power - post your experience! - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Go Back   STI Forums > IWSTI Engine & Drivetrain > 2.5 Liter/Litre Factory Motor > Let's beat a dead horse. Longevity and power - post your experience!
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 07-15-09, 06:35 AM   #1
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: n54 135i
Fav Mod: dtc off
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Dfv2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Let's beat a dead horse. Longevity and power - post your experience!

I'm at a crossroads here. I do love the car I'm driving (stage 2 GR) for what it is as a whole. I like driving a Subaru, and I like the community and the aftermarket support.

I am however disheartened DAILY by stories of blown motors. Another built motor down,, another ringland issue. Low compression threads are the NORM. I understand all of the variables, the unknowns, the pay-to-play aspect of this "hobby". Not new to the scene, but lately it has dawned on me that the EJ257 is not a motor to make more than stage 2 / 300whp happily.

This is a thread where hopefully the contented owners out there speak up. We all know the unlucky few make the majority of the noise. I am realistically looking for a high 10 second daily driven car on a simple forged piston shortblock (built fresh by anyone of your trusted builders like raw1, mike/innovative, p&l). Yes, I know what it takes to get there. And thatís why Iím asking for some input.

Can I "reasonably" expect to get 30+ kmi out of a 10 second capable 2.5L build? Does it ever happen? Are you scoffing at my question, itching to school me to the game? If so, you answered it already. Flame suit on, one foot out the door (other foot in a 4g63 evo). Give me your worst.

Dfv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 06:55 AM   #2
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Car: 04 WRB
Fav Mod: Greddy TI-C
My Subaru Parts for sale

psuLemon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Let's beat a dead horse. Longevity and power - post your experience!

Let's not and lets research.
Old 07-15-09, 08:04 AM   #3
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Prodrive pff7's and my dom 3.0R
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

army STI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to army STI Send a message via MSN to army STI Send a message via Yahoo to army STI
Default Re: Let's beat a dead horse. Longevity and power - post your experience!

ive heard people praise ron at axis. do a search on here for them. plus if youre wanting that much power for that long your gonna spend a **** load of money on a built motor to handle the power. let alone hold the power for a lot of miles. i would shoot for possibly 11's and be happy. really what are you gonna do with a 10 sec daily driver? why do you need a 10 second car and not an 11? whats the diff?
JDM Ballers Club member #15
aspen white sti-18x8 pffs 7's,silencer delete,jdm taillight mod,cobb stg 2,chargspeed v1 lip kit,vortex gen,cobb turbo heat shield,tv visors w/ a ps2 in glove box,defi amber on the pillar, Dom 3.0R, aps fmic, aps 50/50 bov, aps 70mm cai, dw 850cc, walbro fuel pump, gimmicks turbo inlet and afta maf.

XX Tuning Protune...373HP and 378TQ at COBB Tunings Mustang Dyno in Plano!!!
army STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 08:26 AM   #4

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuLemon View Post
Let's not and lets research.
It's old timers like you that kill the idea of an open discussion forum.

Clearly stated, when you do research you find 100's of blown motor threads. If I based my opinion of this on that fact alone, I would have already sold this car.

I'm looking for those who haven't had a reason to complain (read: motor is healthy, life is good) to stop in and say "Hey, yes it can be done." Perhaps they'd even share a bit of positive info..? Or is that asking too much...
Old 07-15-09, 08:28 AM   #5

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by army STI View Post
ive heard people praise ron at axis. do a search on here for them. plus if youre wanting that much power for that long your gonna spend a **** load of money on a built motor to handle the power. let alone hold the power for a lot of miles. i would shoot for possibly 11's and be happy. really what are you gonna do with a 10 sec daily driver? why do you need a 10 second car and not an 11? whats the diff?
Why? Who not? Why do you need a raise at work? Why even ask the boss, just settle for last years salary. It's just an arbitrary goal, to base the response on. And, it's chosen because I just don't know of any 10 second subaru's who live a long life (or even close to it).
Old 07-15-09, 08:59 AM   #6

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Send a message via AIM to army STI Send a message via MSN to army STI Send a message via Yahoo to army STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfv2 View Post
it's chosen because I just don't know of any 10 second subaru's who live a long life (or even close to it).

This is exactly my point. theres a reason why you havent seen much if any 10 sec daily driven sti's. its just not that common. hell its not common to find any 4cyl 10 sec cars...(evo has a few i know)

if youre doing it for the hell of it cause you dont see any 10 sec subarus then i hope you have deep pockets cause its going to cost you an arm and a leg. like i said before you need to check out ron at axxis as ive only heard good things about them. my car is getting upgraded as i speak and i should hopefully hit 11's, but before i upgraded i had my compression done and was on avg about 150psi all the way across the board. my motor is stock internally and has about 33500 miles on it. I hope that helps.
aspen white sti-18x8 pffs 7's,silencer delete,jdm taillight mod,cobb stg 2,chargspeed v1 lip kit,vortex gen,cobb turbo heat shield,tv visors w/ a ps2 in glove box,defi amber on the pillar, Dom 3.0R, aps fmic, aps 50/50 bov, aps 70mm cai, dw 850cc, walbro fuel pump, gimmicks turbo inlet and afta maf.

Old 07-15-09, 10:58 AM   #7
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: E90 BMW 335xi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

roninsoldier83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to roninsoldier83

Honestly, like posted above, as well as your search has shown you, no it's unlikely you're going to have a 10 second STI last you 30k+ miles without issues unless you're babying it town for the most part. There are I'm sure a few exceptions to that rule, but it's definitely not the norm. Now, as a freak exception to the rule, there is a guy over on Nasioc who has a WRX that broke into the high 10's on a 18G (fairly "small" 40 lb/min compressor), however that car is pretty much gutted I would say, and most would agree, that with a mild 40 lb/min compressor (18G size turbo), I'm sure you can get 100k+ miles out of your car as long as you have a good tune, and don't beat the hell out of your car on a daily basis... BUT, to get a small turbo like that into the 10's, you're going to need a LOT of weight reduction. So, if you don't mind putting your car on a hefty diet, I would say it can be done reliably.

However, if we're talking full weight, most people seem to run a GT35 pushing big boost numbers to get into the 10's, and the motors don't last too long typically, unless they drive very conservatively for the most part.

I'm at a high elevation (Denver area 5200 ft), and the track up here (Bandimere) is rated at 5800 ft elevation, so a little tougher to get into the 10's here. I've heard of one guy in an STI who did it, named Scuba Steve on a GT35. I know he had several high 10 second passes, but, I also heard something else... not sure if it's true, never confirmed it with him, but heard his motor had been built/rebuild at least twice within a years time. The tuner who tuned his car is really a great tuner, known for making motors last... but, that's just a lot of power for an EJ257 to hold for long periods of time with someone who tracks/pushes the car. Take it for what it's worth.

On another note... if you're into drag racing, I don't see why you don't buy an American V8, unless of course you just can't find one that will fit your lifestyle. Honestly though, I've heard of multiple LS1 powered F-bodies with bolt-ons (cam, longtubes/full exhaust, intake mods, ect) running low 11's on 93 octane pump gas, and doing it reliabily, or at least more so than an STI that's been boosted within an inch of it's life. STI's can be damn fast, especially with deep enough pockets, but if drag racing is the only thing you're into, to me it just makes more sense to buy a car that was built for it (V8 powered, RWD American). You'll spend less money, and have less of a heahache along the way. Just my $.02

Good luck either way!
Old 07-15-09, 12:00 PM   #8

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks! It's not so much I need a 10 second pass, it just the idea of a very quick DD that intrigues me. I guess if you haven't been over on evoM you wouldn't be as jealous as I am over having a stout motor. Making an evo 10 second capable is childs play. I have a good friend with a 04 Z06, paxton novi 2000, making over 650 rwhp. Not my style, I respect it but just doesn't fit my game plan. I never bought the STi to drag, but knowing that going for a 35r is like banging hookers raw on this motor doesn't sit well with me. A local guy (jays05) just lost what, his 3rd motor (2nd built block) in the pursuit of owning a quick and fast subie. It's disheartening, I do not know ANYONE who went rotated or big turbo period who isn't on their second motor (at least). I was hoping I was just hearing only the bad...
Old 07-15-09, 12:17 PM   #9
Advanced Mastery Level II

Fav Mod: Jr Tune FTW
My Subaru Parts for sale

jays05 is an unknown quantity at this point

My stock motor lasted the longest and took the most abuse. 10k hard miles with a gt35r and a lot of learning and tuning mistakes. Then it cracked a ringland.

First built motor (by a local shop) went 6k miles before a cam broke in half. Then 2k miles after that it blew a headgasket and damaged one piston/rod. Then I had Ron@Raw1 rebuild it, and 5k miles after that it dropped a valve and destroyed everything - the only reusable internals are the cams and head studs.

If you aren't ready to deal with THAT, find another platform to build. It seems like everybody who talks about built motor subarus lasting a long time, is trying to sell something.
Old 07-15-09, 12:21 PM   #10

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

well the 4g63 also has quite a few years on the ej257 and is a cast iron block at that. very stout so of course the evo will be able to make serious power since lots of tuners know the ins and outs of that motor. ours not so much but we are getting there. my whole thing is instead of trying for a 10 sec car or even 450+hp take a ride in diff cars making diff power and see which one makes you happy and feels like what youd want. then mod accordingly but try not to go too crazy. honestly try 350 out and see if its quick enough for you. it was for me. you just gotta find that power level that suits you.