The Official STi engine Venting, A/O Separators, and Catch Cans Thread!! - Page 175 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
The Official STi engine Venting, A/O Separators, and Catch Cans Thread!!
The Official STi engine Venting, A/O Separators, and Catch Cans Thread!!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > The Official STi engine Venting, A/O Separators, and Catch Cans Thread!!

Old 03-24-17, 06:38 AM   #1741
praha-sti
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Baby daughter ... :-)
My Subaru Parts for sale

praha-sti is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Official STi engine Venting, A/O Separators, and Catch Cans Thread!!

So you're using the air intake as your venturi vacuum to clear the heads and crankcase of blow by, which is fine if the oil is actually caught and doesn't make it into your air intake tract. Keep an eye on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-17, 12:45 AM   #1742
STIking85
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STIking85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Official STi engine Venting, A/O Separators, and Catch Cans Thread!!

I have an IAG street series AOS installed that is seeping oil from the bottom edge around the can itself. I've had a shop check it but it started to again, IAG states it maybe positioned a bit too low in the engine bay. It sits about an inch from the top of the engine bay in a 2016 STi (if that matters). Anyone knows what may be the culprit?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-18-17, 07:20 AM   #1743
blee2666
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: DK Grey 13 STI
Fav Mod: Downpipe w/93 stage 2 map Protune, EBCS,Full Cobb Intake. SPT Catback, CartBoy ST Shifter
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

blee2666 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to dumb this down. I put a new short block blueprinted, forged pistons and crank of course. course in my 13 STI, Stage II protune access port normal stuff. Ran great during session but when I would restart the car, All this blue smoke would come out the exhaust and then stop. Still ran fine and afterwards when I took it to my mechanic he said go back to conventional for a 1000 miles then but the Crawford and go back to synthetic. this helps seal the rings.
Been back to the track about 5 time and the problem is 100% fixed. At least that's my story. Going next week but I am sure the smoking issue is fixed. We install the lik just as the manual said and it is sucking from both heads and intake
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-17, 07:52 AM   #1744
Scargo
Gold Member

Fav Mod: Driver lobotomy
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Scargo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee2666 View Post
I am going to dumb this down...
Good job.

Old 06-23-17, 05:04 AM   #1745
the_weedman
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: 05 WRB STi
Fav Mod: Custom Shifter
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

the_weedman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIking85 View Post
I have an IAG street series AOS installed that is seeping oil from the bottom edge around the can itself. I've had a shop check it but it started to again, IAG states it maybe positioned a bit too low in the engine bay. It sits about an inch from the top of the engine bay in a 2016 STi (if that matters). Anyone knows what may be the culprit?
because the o-ring for the bottom was designed in a way that is inappropriate for vacuum applications.

it boggles my mind that there still is not one product out there that ticks all of the boxes laid out in this obnoxiously long thread. i need to buy a welder.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-23-17, 06:05 AM   #1746
killerbmotorsport
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Car: Blue 05 WRX STi
Fav Mod: It's all good
My Subaru Parts for sale

killerbmotorsport is a jewel in the roughkillerbmotorsport is a jewel in the roughkillerbmotorsport is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_weedman View Post
because the o-ring for the bottom was designed in a way that is inappropriate for vacuum applications.
Is the o-ring sitting in a counterbore only? No o-ring groove? That could certainly explain it, but I'd be surprised if the low vacuum would be enough to dislodge the ring. Possible I suppose.

Quote:

it boggles my mind that there still is not one product out there that ticks all of the boxes laid out in this obnoxiously long thread.
Weed, the problem is no one has the same checkboxes... Do you want it to look cool? Function? Be easy to install? Inexpensive? VTA? Catch or drain? Maintenance free? Heated?... The list goes on.

Here is ours if you haven't seen it. It checks the function & performance boxes first and foremost, as I have always been a function first kind of guy, and was not satisfied (and had been coerced by the market) with the capabilities of the market offerings. Does this hit everyone's checkboxes? Highly doubtful, but it definitely performs to it's purpose.

OEM Oil Pickup Failures vs. The Ultimate Oil Pickup

V2 High Performance Aluminum OIL PAN

Brushed Delrin Shift knobs - Grab Our Knobs - It's Good Shift! CLICK HERE!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-23-17, 06:59 AM   #1747
Scargo
Gold Member

Fav Mod: Driver lobotomy
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Scargo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... it boggles my mind that there still is not one product out there that ticks all of the boxes laid out in this obnoxiously long thread. ...
I agree with Chris. Looks like KB's is a very good design but doesn't deal with "mayonnaise" worriers with DD's.
Perhaps my Crawford would be OK in a DD situation but with my 24 PSI race motor it is letting some oil get by (which goes into a catch can/breather).
Nothing's perfect/no one size fits all.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-24-17, 04:07 PM   #1748
the_weedman
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: 05 WRB STi
Fav Mod: Custom Shifter
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

the_weedman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbmotorsport View Post
Is the o-ring sitting in a counterbore only? No o-ring groove? That could certainly explain it, but I'd be surprised if the low vacuum would be enough to dislodge the ring. Possible I suppose.
the o ring should be compressed between mating surfaces like a flange instead of relying on the static tension created by sliding it up in there, not to mention how easy it would be to nick the o ring on the way in and the tendency of o rings to roll as they are installed. using a ring with a square cross section might help but it is just not a good design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbmotorsport View Post
Weed, the problem is no one has the same checkboxes... Do you want it to look cool? Function? Be easy to install? Inexpensive? VTA? Catch or drain? Maintenance free? Heated?... The list goes on.

Here is ours if you haven't seen it. It checks the function & performance boxes first and foremost, as I have always been a function first kind of guy, and was not satisfied (and had been coerced by the market) with the capabilities of the market offerings. Does this hit everyone's checkboxes? Highly doubtful, but it definitely performs to it's purpose.

Image Link
yes i have seen yours, you guys made a great track day product.. I am well aware no product ticks all the boxes, even my current setup is not what i would like it to be.

heres the way i look at it, all of the best mods take what we were given by the factory and use better materials and more costly production techniques to give us what the factory deemed not cost competitive. most aos systems try to reinvent the wheel instead of just making it more round.

2 cans of large capacity with tangential inlets
swirl inducer ring
valved drains to act as aos OR catchcan
spill free fittings for the coolant so it can be heated or not.
serviceable

its not exactly a long list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
I agree with Chris. Looks like KB's is a very good design but doesn't deal with "mayonnaise" worriers with DD's.
Perhaps my Crawford would be OK in a DD situation but with my 24 PSI race motor it is letting some oil get by (which goes into a catch can/breather).
Nothing's perfect/no one size fits all.
yes it is a good design, but you seem to agree with me that it will not serve daily drivers of cold climates. the crawford will always let the gunk out because the design dosent let the can drain until you shut the car off
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-25-17, 09:50 AM   #1749
802awdVT
Becoming A Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

802awdVT is an unknown quantity at this point

Got the Perrin AO kit for my 18 Sti. Does anyone know if dealer voids warranty cus of it? Prb should have asked them before spending cash lol
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-25-17, 12:01 PM   #1750
ChefPhil
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: one of 125
Fav Mod: Subframe bushings
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ChefPhil is on a distinguished road

2 cans of large capacity with tangential inlets
swirl inducer ring
valved drains to act as aos OR catchcan
spill free fittings for the coolant so it can be heated or not.
serviceable

its not exactly a long list

The moroso setup is really close to your list, just without the ability to be heated. I find that waiting 10 minutes or so after shutting the car down allows enough heat from the turbo to sufficiently heat the cans and allow all gunk to run out.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement