The Official STi engine Venting, A/O Separators, and Catch Cans Thread!! - Page 174 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
The Official STi engine Venting, A/O Separators, and Catch Cans Thread!!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > The Official STi engine Venting, A/O Separators, and Catch Cans Thread!!
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 01-03-17, 12:58 AM   #1731
Cake Eater
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: All of them
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Official STi engine Venting, A/O Separators, and Catch Cans Thread!!

I believe, maybe, Ti is the time (T) the engine crank case is in vacuum inhaling (i) air.

I cannot believe how much oil these cars breath.

I installed a Grimmspeed AOS which works well for the head vents, the return line is clean and dry, BUT, the crankcase vent is still OEM and is oiling up the intake and IC.

Even with all the information from here Im still trying to work out my best option for doing the crank case.

Not really wanting a can which requires emptying or plumbing into somewhere to return, I may try adding the crank vent it to the Grimmspeed AOS, one for crank, one for heads, just hope the return pipe is sufficient.

Bloody cars, I had the same but different issues with my R33 (oil surge), fixed with big VTA can that returned oil to sump, no PCV valves to be seen

I'm sure it is easy but my brain is full from so many different methods.

Plus I'm not keen on spending to much money on something that could be fixed by running some hoses and venting it out under the car (bit messy though).
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-03-17, 08:20 AM   #1732
Scargo
Becoming A Master Contributor

Fav Mod: Driver lobotomy
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Scargo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Official STi engine Venting, A/O Separators, and Catch Cans Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake Eater;4292552I
... installed a Grimmspeed AOS which works well for the head vents, the return line is clean and dry, BUT, the crankcase vent is still OEM and is oiling up the intake and IC.

Even with all the information from here Im still trying to work out my best option for doing the crank case.

Not really wanting a can which requires emptying or plumbing into somewhere to return, I may try adding the crank vent it to the Grimmspeed AOS, one for crank, one for heads, just hope the return pipe is sufficient...
It seems like I recall that many feel the Grimspeed unit is a poor solution and inefficient. It's really not that difficult to let a catch-can return the oil to the crankcase. Easier if you ditch the PCV valve. I think that approach is pretty well covered in this thread. I bought a very inexpensive, tall catch can called an oil breather tank. I then mounted the breather remotely and covered it with a sock. Now, this is for a race car with blowby. Still, the sock takes days of track time before it starts to get wet.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-14-17, 08:59 PM   #1733
the_weedman
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: 05 WRB STi
Fav Mod: Custom Shifter
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

the_weedman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbee View Post
@Scargo I appreciate your detail respond but you may have misunderstood what I am really asking here.... After reading 1720 post, I certainly get what you wrote above ^^^^^

I am just curious about what bb999 said and whether it make sense to you and that's all.....let me put what bb999 said below one more time. Now, is off boost the best time to burn up blow-by via the intake manifold and it really doesn't matter whether you have a CAN between the PCV and the IM ?

The idea of 3 cans is essentially wrong, blowby exits the motor a from only 2 places: the crankcase and the heads. intercepting UNDER the PCV Valve and where the head breathers "T" together is all you can/need to do. with this method any system can be made to work with or without a PCV Valve. Intercepting above the PCV Valve causes the intended mixing function of the "pinhole shminhole" to be altered. Off boost is the best time to burn blowby, this is why the group N routing for PCV is VTA but also keeps the IM connection, routing the head breathers to the TI port of the PCV valve. you however do not want your intake manifold, valves and pistons coated in oil so keeping it out under all circumstances is best. with that said VTA is suboptimal especially for a daily driven vehicle, it is a track setup.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-14-17, 11:00 PM   #1734
Cake Eater
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: All of them
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
It seems like I recall that many feel the Grimspeed unit is a poor solution and inefficient. It's really not that difficult to let a catch-can return the oil to the crankcase. Easier if you ditch the PCV valve. I think that approach is pretty well covered in this thread. I bought a very inexpensive, tall catch can called an oil breather tank. I then mounted the breather remotely and covered it with a sock. Now, this is for a race car with blowby. Still, the sock takes days of track time before it starts to get wet.
Ive hooked up the crankcase to the Grimmspeed AOS, the return hose from the heads was clean and dry prior to this, so far after about 500 km the return is still clean and dry.

I just cleaned out the TMIC with brake clean, I will inspect it again in a couple weeks and see if it has worked, or if I need to supplement the AOS with a catch can.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-15-17, 04:35 AM   #1735
the_weedman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

you should really clean your tmic with GAS not brake clean, its impossible to get it all out and things like diaphragms, gaskets and injectors are not happy with brake clean.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-15-17, 10:55 AM   #1736
bue car
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Fav Mod: 95 Impreza L
My Subaru Parts for sale

bue car is on a distinguished road

Everytime I see you post, I have to throw on the song - The Weedman by E-40

Ey Mamma, I know the Weedman, He's my Friend

Old 01-16-17, 04:42 AM   #1737
the_weedman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Slurricane, but you can call me hurricane, strong enough to start an engine mane
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-20-17, 12:45 AM   #1738
tim33h
Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

tim33h is an unknown quantity at this point

Clean as a whistle on the OUT side,
I forgot to take a photo of the IN side of the intercooler but that was clean and dry too.
Pretty happy with my Mishimoto 3 port catch can.
5 track days and about 20,000kms travelled

Running Cobb Stage 3 + FF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-20-17, 01:28 PM   #1739
mofoSTI
Advanced Mastery Level IV

Car: 08 STI,sr20det 510
Fav Mod: boob job for wife
My Subaru Parts for sale

mofoSTI is on a distinguished road

I promised pictures of the Radium Engineering unit installed on my 08 GR STi and forgot. This weekend I will clean up under the hood and get some. Fantastic work of art it is for sure.
Current mods:HMS stage 3 forged shortblock, HTA 68 8cm, Cobb sf intake with air box, Perrin inlet tube, perrin dual catted DP, vibrant 3" exhaust, Tomei EL headers and uppipe coated, cobb 1000cc injectors, Cobb flex fuel and AP, grimmspeed ebc, perrin pully, tgv deletes, AEM fuel pump, , Raduim fuel rails, Radium catch can, Radium adj FPR, air pump delete, Killer B pick up tube, H&R coilovers, 22mm Perrin rear bar, Perrin psrs
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-18-17, 11:07 AM   #1740
jnewt
Becoming A Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jnewt is an unknown quantity at this point

Figure I'd add a few pics of my GrimmSpeed AOS for install and hose routing options/ideas.🖒

Likes 0 Dislikes 0