Shell rotella T 5w40... - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Go Back   STI Forums > IWSTI Engine & Drivetrain > 2.5 Liter/Litre Factory Motor > Shell rotella T 5w40...
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.
Like Tree1Likes

Old 01-04-09, 07:05 PM   #21
Mac
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Fav Mod: Everything!! ;)
My Subaru Parts for sale

Mac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shell rotella T 5w40...

I bought it and trying it currently on the STi

Would you like to discuss an infraction with the moderator team? Click here to post privately.
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/

IWSTI.com | Facebook
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 03:22 AM   #22
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Car: WRB 07 STi
Fav Mod: COBB!
My Subaru Parts for sale

mond12345 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just did an oil chance this weekend with it in my DD (99 Cougar) Seems good so far...
mond12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 05:52 PM   #23
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Car: 2005 & 2008 STI
Fav Mod: Scott Siegel Tuning!!!
My Subaru Parts for sale

JDM-STI is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to JDM-STI Send a message via MSN to JDM-STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle944t View Post
Because it is for diesel motors. Rotella has high levels of phosphorous and zinc which are great for anti-wear but bring early death to catalytic converters. Passenger car oils are not allowed to have high concentrations of these additives because of the damage over time it causes to the cats.

Google rotella and you'll find plenty of reading.

Wal-Mart. $16/gallon
Most all late model diesels come with cats and they use Rotella. It might be bad for our stock cats over time, but I wouldn't worry too much about it harming the metal substrate cats that come in the aftermarket downpipes.
Walmart around my house sells Rotella 15/40 for about $10 a gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianspi View Post
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know if this oil is an energy conservation oil? In my 08 manual it says that I must use a API SM oil (which Rotella is) with the Starburst Energy Conservation logo on it. I can't find it on the box and IDK if that makes a difference. I just don't want SOA to have any reason to try to deny any warranty claims.
As long as the oil meets the API SM rating, you are good. The Starburst Energy stuff is only tree hugger stuff. It will have nothing to do with your warranty. I've been running Rotella in my 08 since the 250 mile point. And it has been in my 05 for years and its all that I run in my built motor on my 05. I have no plans to change what works.
Old 01-05-09, 06:08 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Car: another ae86 gts :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

Deuce Cam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianspi View Post
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know if this oil is an energy conservation oil? In my 08 manual it says that I must use a API SM oil (which Rotella is) with the Starburst Energy Conservation logo on it. I can't find it on the box and IDK if that makes a difference. I just don't want SOA to have any reason to try to deny any warranty claims.
Don't worry about using an energy conserving oil. Oils with this designation are usually meant to improve fuel economy (i.e. they'll probably have a lower viscosity). I'm assuming manufacturers list this designation in the manual so you'll get the advertised fuel economy.

What would you rather have, better engine wear protection or better fuel economy? I can't comment on the rotella though, never used it. I am tempted to give it a try.
Deuce Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 06:09 PM   #25
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 08 Red STi
Fav Mod: too broke for mods
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

nil5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never used Rotella in my cars, because I have been worried about damage to the cats (is it the zinc additive?). However, I have used it consistently in my motorcycles (without cats) with great success for the last 3 years. Every time I change the oil it comes out, not golden, but not black either. brownish. I figure I probably don't have to change it so often.

Lots of motorcyclists use Rotella for the same reason that, I guess, you guys have found out; the wear inhibitors seem to be much better than in other oils.

I prefer the 5w40 to the 15w40, because the moto engine didn't seem to idle as smoothly when cold.

==edit==
Oh, and I meant to say that, you can use Rotella in motorcycles with wet clutches because it is not energy conserving. If you use an energy conserving oil in a bike with a wet clutch, the clutch can/will slip. That is why you don't use energy conserving oils in bikes with wet clutches

Last edited by nil5; 01-05-09 at 06:13 PM.
nil5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 08:00 PM   #26
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 05 Sti
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

seattle944t is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM-STI View Post
Most all late model diesels come with cats and they use Rotella. It might be bad for our stock cats over time, but I wouldn't worry too much about it harming the metal substrate cats that come in the aftermarket downpipes.
Walmart around my house sells Rotella 15/40 for about $10 a gallon.

snip
Rotella isn't targeted at the passenger car/truck market:
- What Do You Drive?

And they have changed their formula for passenger diesel trucks. The new 'triple protection' white bottle has reduced levels of phosphorous and zinc. The blue bottle has the highest levels and isn't recommended for newer passenger diesel trucks.

Changes to oil due to emissions changes for passenger vehicles:
- Answer Column

And I am one of the people who uses it (Rotella-T blue bottle) on my motorcycle.

Last edited by seattle944t; 01-05-09 at 08:07 PM.
seattle944t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 11:11 AM   #27
Super Moderator
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: mo boostaz
My Subaru Parts for sale

WolfPlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
- What Do You Drive?

And they have changed their formula for passenger diesel trucks. The new 'triple protection' white bottle has reduced levels of phosphorous and zinc. The blue bottle has the highest levels and isn't recommended for newer passenger diesel trucks.

- Answer Column

And I am one of the people who uses it (Rotella-T blue bottle) on my motorcycle.
Thank you for bringing this up! I noticed this recently too but haven't mentioned it to anyone yet. Yes, the newer Rotella T synthetic is SM rated and therefore, it has less ZDDP. Booooooooooooo!!!!!!!! ZDDP for life! (IMHO).

t
WolfPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 03:13 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Car: 2005 & 2008 STI
Fav Mod: Scott Siegel Tuning!!!
My Subaru Parts for sale

JDM-STI is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to JDM-STI Send a message via MSN to JDM-STI

I ran it for 200,000 miles in my 03 Duramax and never had a problem with the cat. I then used it for 125,000 miles in my 05 diesel Excursion. It also had no problems as far as the cat goes. I would use it in my 08 F450, but you have to use DPF approved oils in it. Regular Rotella doesn't fit the bill yet. I know ALOT of passenger diesel truck owners, and about 95% of them use Rotella oil. I have used it in all of my Subaru's and they seem to like it. I even know of a certain shop (with LOTS of knowledge on this stuff) that highly recommends the use of Rotella in our cars. They even use it in their record setting time attack car week in and week out.
Quote:
- What Do You Drive?

- Answer Column

Old 01-07-09, 08:25 PM   #29
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2004 STi Blue
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

04_Sti_Blue is an unknown quantity at this point

i used rotella 5w-40 and i sent it to blackstone and they said it was the best oil used compared to mobil one and something else i forgot. Im using Royal purple 5w-30 so when i do my oil change i can compare its results.

But i highly recoomend Rotella 5w-40.
04_Sti_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 03:18 PM   #30
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 08 Red STi
Fav Mod: too broke for mods
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

nil5 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no doubt in my mind that I would be using Rotella synthetic 5w40 in my STI, if it weren't for the cat issue. If you don't care about replacing your cats or you want to go catless, I'd use that oil in a heartbeat. The price is right and the protection is great. I used it at a trackday recently where my bike was seeing 8000-12000 rpm for 20 minutes at a time, and it burned not a drop of oil. And when I changed it afterward, it looked fresh. That's an A in my book.
nil5 is offline   Reply With Quote