IW STi Forum banner

Ceramic Coating a Catted DP?

7K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  STI-LOS 
#1 · (Edited)
I searched and came up with nothing specific.

So, I am going with the Maddad catted dp and I want it coated, but I don't want the cat coated (inside or out).

My question is how do they do it? I planned on calling them, but they aren't open today. Here's the company, but I doubt that it really matters because I am guessing they all do it the same way. pci

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Conlan

#13 ·
OK. Sounds like a better coating, but are they able to coat the entire exterior of the dp except for the cat? I am really not a big fan of holding heat in a cat. In reading the below link, it looks like it shouldn't be a problem...

You are talking about the White Lightening Coating then right? Swain Tech

So what was your turnaround time?
SwainTech is really some of the best in the business. My turnaround was very fast, they actually only had it in house for 2-3 days, the rest of the time was me being cheap and opting for slow shipping there and back.

I had my entire DP coated including the cat. I am not sure why you don't want the cat coated. It actually increases the efficiency of the cat and will reduce your biggest emissions which occur prior to the cat warming up to temp. The retention of heat in the cat will not be great enough to cause harm to the cat or limit the lifespan of the cat.

Call SwainTech and discuss with them...

#15 · (Edited)
SwainTech is really some of the best in the business. My turnaround was very fast, they actually only had it in house for 2-3 days, the rest of the time was me being cheap and opting for slow shipping there and back.

I had my entire DP coated including the cat. I am not sure why you don't want the cat coated. It actually increases the efficiency of the cat and will reduce your biggest emissions which occur prior to the cat warming up to temp. The retention of heat in the cat will not be great enough to cause harm to the cat or limit the lifespan of the cat.

Call SwainTech and discuss with them...
Damage to the cat from higher temps is the reason anyone who makes a catted downpipe will tell you NOT to coat it.

Before I got my DP I contacted Perrin, Crucial and Swain tech all said the same thing.
DO NOT COAT ANYTHING WITH A CAT.
Not a single person I spoke with said it was okay to coat or wrap a cat.
And seeing as how all of these people deal with these products every day and 2 of them would have made money off me sending them my DP I'll take thier word for it.

I was told since you can't coat the inside of a catted pipe and coating just the outside of a pipe fatigues the metal more because it is going to transfer all that extra heat in to the pipe.
Your better off using a thermal wrap to cover everything on the pipe besides the cat since a wrap blocks more radiant heat.

In the end it's your part so do what you want with it but the idea that coating a cat is okay is simply not the case. it might last for a little while but it will cause the cat to fail much sooner than it would have without the coating or wrap.

If you want to coat a DP get a catless DP and do it right using a coating that is done on the inside and out.

FWIW ,
I had my Perrin EL Header coated inside and out by Crucial and I ended up only using thermal wrap on my DP leaving the cat uncovered

Here are some photos before I sealed the wrap, the blue painters tape on the flex section of the grimmspeed uppipe and the cat on the perrin DP show what I was told not to wrap/coat.

#12 ·
if you are catted you cant do the inside
if you are catless then it is VERY beneficial to coat the inside AND the outside. the inside coating does not let the majority of the head get to the metal, and the outer coating just has to act as a secondary barrier.
the coating for the inside is different than the coating for the outside.

i use a local guy who has phenomenal products and stupid fast turnaround time.
General Performance Engineering - (905)-456-3113 *slow site to load*

#17 · (Edited)
I would not use Crucial for coating over Swain...or JetHot. Crucial coatings simply can't compete with Swain, period. Swain is a true ceramic...if you ever get a chance, you can tell an immediate difference. It won't chip or flake off even when hit.

Swain will not coat any sections that you tell them not to. Include specifics on your order form and mark off the area with blue tape and mark it "Do Not Coat".

#19 ·
okay, well i know nothing about coatings so im just gona ask this guys please help me out.

Is Getting Ceramic Coating really worth it, I don't know the cost but can you actually feel a noticable difference? Was about to add headers/uppipe to my gt-52 system and didn't know for sure if the coating would matter that much, I was going to get it on the headers. But the upipe and downpipe I was now debating on after reading this. So is there actual power increase worth the money?

#20 ·
okay, well i know nothing about coatings so im just gona ask this guys please help me out.

Is Getting Ceramic Coating really worth it, I don't know the cost but can you actually feel a noticable difference? Was about to add headers/uppipe to my gt-52 system and didn't know for sure if the coating would matter that much, I was going to get it on the headers. But the upipe and downpipe I was now debating on after reading this. So is there actual power increase worth the money?

Well it depends, if you have the money to do the coating then YES absolutely worth it, for headers, uppipe it really cuts down on heat and protects them aswell. The DP I dont think is needed you can wrap some of it like right off the Turbo and past the firewall area then you should be good.. To me our engines put out so much HEAT... And especially with a GT52 why not cut down on that heat. check out the sites of HPC and Swain they have real good info on the stats and the claims etc.

All I can say is that I spent alot of money getting all my stuff coated by HPC there extreme coating its the best out there a true .15 thick ceramic coating its a bit pricey but I def have no regrets especially with my Blouch Dom 3 setup and a TMIC. I am all about cutting on heat.

But from your post if your looking at it as a power mod then it might not be worth it for you. Your not gonna get your headers coated and see an extra 20HP you know. But to me its step that shouldn't be skipped. You dont build a house without insulation if that makes any sense.. Good luck

#21 ·
yeah , i know what you mean i am gona get them just because why not spend the little extra to save your engine a lil longer :) got idea on price for headers and uppipe, was probably gona get the turbo XS uppipe without getting the cat coated, what do you think on the price couldnt find a quote anywhere...

#22 ·
Call swaintech they are in NY not sure if they are close to you or not? HPC gives you qoutes over the phone, for there HPC extreme coating that is there best coating I think it was 400-500 bucks for the headers and uppipe if I remember corectly..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.