IW STi Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Install Guide: STi Group-N Engine Mounts

131K views 79 replies 29 participants last post by  sti2relaxxin 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
***WARNING***
This is from the moderator team: Later in this thread, members dispute the torque specifications recommended by EDO Performance. It is always imperative that you verify any torque specs recommended by others in the event you perform ANY work on your car. This is necessary for not only your safety but the safety of others. Please bring your vehicle to a trusted automotive technician if you have no experience working on your car yourself or you feel the least bit uncomfortable performing any of the steps of the how-to install. Proceed AT YOUR OWN RISK.
***WARNING***

Hello again from EDO Performance!

Today we have for you an installation guide for the STi Group-N engine mount. They are being installed on a 2006 STi, but the procedure will be the same for any other Impreza.

The STi Group-n engine mounts are for use on the 2002+ Imprezas. They replace the vehicles factory mounts, which allow for excess play and motion of the engine. This excess motion can negatively affect performance and handling.
Using the hardened Group-n mounts securely holds the engine and prevents the unwanted movement, improving the performance and response of your vehicle.

1. First, as with most installs, you need to get the car in the air. Jackstands, ramps or a lift. Whichever you have available. Ramps or a lift would be preferable as you will be jacking the motor up, and you don’t want the car falling off jackstands.

2. You will be doing this install one side at a time. The instructions are for the passengers side mount but the steps are the same for the drives side.

3. Remove the lower motor mount bolt (14mm) located behind the swaybar.

4. Using either a transmission jack or a floor jack with a bock of wood, slowly lift the motor from the oil pan until the lower motor mount stud has cleared the subframe.

5. Now you need to remove the two bolts that are holding the top half of the mount to the motor. The front one as seen in the picture is pretty easy to get out with a 14mm socket on an extension. Just remember, you are only doing one side at a time so there is always one mount holding the motor in place.

6. Here comes the tricky part, the rear bolt for the mount. As you can see in the picture, it’s wedged up in there pretty far. The best way I’ve found to get it is a 14mm ratcheting open-end wrench that is slanted. Even with that, it’s still tricky to get the leverage you need on it.

7. Once you have those bolts off, you should be able to wiggle the mount out. As you can see in the side-by-side, the Group-n mounts are wider than the stock STi mounts. What you can’t see is how much stiffer they are. Use the nuts off the top plates of the stock mounts to attach the new top plates to the group-n mounts.

8. Slip the new assembled mount in to place and attach it to the motor using the old bolts, do not tighten until you have the lower stud aligned with the slot in the subframe. Slowly lower the motor until the stud is about halfway through the subframe. Now you can torque the upper bolts to 85 ft/lbs.

9. Lower the motor the rest of the way down and tighten the lower mount bolt (don’t forget the washer) to 70 ft/lbs.

10. Repeat steps 3-9 for the other side of the car.

11. Lower the car down, take it for a drive, and enjoy your new motor mounts! :banana:

If you would like to request an install guide for any of the other products we carry please fee free to contact us!

-Kevin
kevin@edoperformance.com
AIM: EDO Kevin
714-602-5741

See less See more
#14 ·
the more and more i read about this install, the more and mre i get scared. I dont have a lift either so i dunno if its even possible to do with the car on stands. How much would it cost to get this done at a shop?

#26 ·
Anyone else have any pointers for the rear bolt on the passenger side lower mount? I don't want to have to remove the exhaust manifold, but I am thinking that's the only way to get a handle on that bolt. I even bought a pitched 14mm racheting open-end to no avail.

#30 · (Edited)
Now here's my issue today...............I've got MY06 with the one piece sh**y rubber mount. It was already broken, so I don't have to worry about how hard the back bolt is to get to. But It's saturday and none of the dealers in the area have the bracket that bolts to the motor. Anyone have this bracket?!!! Help.

i-Club

#31 ·
Now here's my issue today...............I've got MY06 with the one piece sh**y rubber mount. It was already broken, so I don't have to worry about how hard the back bolt is to get to. But It's saturday and none of the dealers in the area have the bracket that bolts to the motor. Anyone have this bracket?!!! Help.

i-Club
I got the 06 Stockers if you want them we can work something out. Also the Cusco mounts only work with the 04-05 metal mounting brackets if that is what you are looking for.

#34 ·
The Group-N Mounts? I can't honestly give you any input as I have the Cusco Motor/Tranny mounts installed on my STi. But I will say that there is a nice noticeable difference in the way your car will feel. Especially since you'll now feel things you've never felt before...but I like it that way! :)

Group-N mounts aren't as stiff as the Cusco's, but you'll notice NVH that's for sure.

#35 ·
I am curios as to how the heck you intend to get a torque wrench in there to torque to the required specs if it is hard enough as it is to get a 14mm wrench in there? lol.

I am specifically referring to STEP 8.

I like the fact that you put that step in there to cover your butt however if that step is absolutely impossible, why add it as part of the process in your tutorial?

Not trying to be hard on you EDO, but reality check is in order here no?

I guess getting it as tight as your "calibrated" 14mm hand/wrench will allow is probably good?

Let me know as I want to do these to my 06 as well.

#36 ·
seeing how i've broke over 6 mounts now, you dont need to worry, those bolts dont come loose, i've never torqued any to the required specs:tup:

last mount i broke a week back

:cool:

#41 · (Edited)
cool but I am confused being you said
Originally Posted by RAPTR
I got the 06 Stockers if you want them we can work something out. Also the Cusco mounts only work with the 04-05 metal mounting brackets if that is what you are looking for.
Check your OEM mounts to see if they are those weird fluid mounts. If not then you have nothing to worry about. If you do have the fluid mounts then you need to find/source the bottom OEM mount plates for the standard mounts. They look like a flat piece of aluminum that is placed between the mount and the block. I wish I had a pic to show you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.